Can't Write to external hard drive any more

Reaction score
Hi there

Suddenly, for no reason, I can't write to my external hard drives any more. I can read from them but not write.

I have clicked on more info - clicked the padlock at the bottom but it doesn't give me any options.

I am logged in as admin user - as I'm the only one who uses it.

Any idea what I can/could do?

Thanks

All the best

C

chas_m

How is this external drive formatted? If you're not sure, examine it with Disk Utility (and indeed I would suggest repairing the drive with DU unless it's formatted for PCs).

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for reply

They are OSX (journaled) formatted

All MAC formatted from new

All worked fine since bought (talking a number of years, some a year and some only a few months old) but now they are all locked - I can only view things on them

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
(need more background info)
Do you use these with more than one Mac? more than one User?

use the Terminal (utility) to run the command:
ls -alOe /Volumes

(make sure to include the correct spaces - maybe copy/paste)
(this gives the permissions in unix format - please show us the result)

PS - I meant to tell you to run the Terminal command with all drives mounted.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks ill try that when home!

They connect to only one mac directly but I access them
Through the network etc via mac book pro, iPad, iPhone etc etc

OP
P
Reaction score
@gshali

Hi there - thank you for your helpful tip.

Unfortunately it didn't work. It worked in terminal i.e it printed up onto screen text relating to the drives etc. BUT they are still locked and I can't write to them

Thanks - any other ideas? :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Oops - just seen you want the result! I'll do that... when I'm on computer next! sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Unfortunately it didn't work. It worked in terminal i.e it printed up onto screen text relating to the drives etc. BUT they are still locked and I can't write to them

It's not good to assume everything you are asked to do is "the fix."
People who are good with computers - or electronics or mechanical devices, etc. will generally focus on troubleshooting first, so they have a better idea what to fix.
Please, this is not meant to be condescending - we really can't help without more info!

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi there

Terribly sorry for the delay but I'd replied - or thought I had. I think I got distracted, didn't press send and upon checking now, I realise it's not posted!

Anyway... I shall take your true and useful information about not assuming everything is the fix. It's good to know.

However, in this case you did fix it!!! Next time I used it after running what you asked me to every thing was fine. And still is!

If things change I'll come on here... but for now I can't thank you enough!

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi @gshali - just wanted to let you know that everything is going fine with the drive since (fingers crossed! lol) so thank you! Life saver! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.