Is this possible?

Reaction score
Hey guys! My first post on this forum! I am a Mac user I have a Macbook Air (late 2011) and was thinking about purchasing an iMac via Craigslist. Well I ran across a good condition iMac G5 and i realize that it isn't possible to get OSX Mountain Lion on it because it doesn't have an intel processor. I was just wondering if there is any way possible if I could upgrade the iMac G5 and install an intel processor into it so that I could run it and run it faster. Also I want to, if I purchase it, install new ram so it runs faster and is better. SO if there is a way to do that please let me know how I can do so and how to do it. Thank you!! I really appreciate it. I am not to knowledgable on building computing stuff. So I am trying to learn all I can about macs inside and out! I really want to learn more, I do know some more basic information but I want to learn it so that I can do my degree in CAD so then hopefully I can run macs and design things. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There's no way to put an Intel processor in a G5.

You may be able to put more ram in depending on which model it is and what's in there already.

However, I'd suggest that unless you need the power PC architecture it's worth saving a bit more and getting an intel based machine

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay, I figured that much, I was thinking the same thing... wasn't sure though. A new iMac is pretty expensive lol so I was just seeing my options. And just curious I may be buying a Macbook(white, 2007?2008?) would I be able to install OSX Mountain Lion onto it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it were possible we would have all done it lol!

Late 2008 Aluminium MB the earliest that can run Mountain Lion.

OP
B
Reaction score
lol I thought so! And just wondering, I'm becoming familiar with the site right now, and where do I find specs on Apple computers, I kinda want to teach myself about computers. I have always had the interest I just haven't dived into it to much. Like I want to know about the internals and what they do and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It'll likely have a core2duo (which is ok) but its the gma900 graphics that aren't up to running the features of Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm afraid not, as with 99% of all notebooks, the graphics processor is integrated.

As a rule of thumb only RAM and hard disks are easily upgradable on notebooks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
everymac.com

Mactracker.ca

C

chas_m

Lion is no longer available, which should be noted with ANY mentions of Lion so as not to confuse/frustrate switchers who don't know this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.