ibook g4 help

Reaction score
Hi i just inherited a ibook g4 and need any advice going .
Its my first time using a mac and would like to use it for my photos ie iphoto etc
Thanks...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that you need to be a bit more specific as to what info or questions you are looking for.:)

For starters...various iBook G4 models were sold by Apple between October, 2003 thru May, 2006. So depending on what exact model you have...it could be between 6-9 years old...making it "semi-useful" in 2013.

iBook G4's have a PPC cpu. In 2006 Apple switched to Intel cpu's. Because of this...at best (if you have a fast enough iBook G4)...it can run OS 10.5.8. The current Mac OS is 10.8.3. So OS 10.5.8 is fairly dated.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply i'm using version 10.5.8 processor 1.33 .Just want to browse net and edit photos at the moment.I know its not going to do what the newer machines do but itsall i can afford right now.Cheers Ted.

OP
T
Reaction score
Any links to any photo editing packages or any other apps that will work on the machine would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
Wow... old mac. I second iLife '08. I have it running on an older machine running OS 10.5 (Leopard).

Also, you can look for old versions of photoshop for photo editing. Anything before Adobe CS4 should be compatible with macs that predate the intel switch.

My best advice with a G4 running Leopard is DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE FLASH. My mom did that to an old Powerbook G4 we have, and we ended up with a whole bunch of problems. You may have some minor web browsing issues and flash can get choppy on such an old mac with some of the updates some internet websites have gone through.

Overall though, it should be fine for general web use and photos. I used an old G4 mac for 6 years to do audio and video editing and it worked wonderfully, even though it was slow for those purposes.

You just have to be patient with older machines like this and they can be very useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.