Two problems please help

Reaction score
Problem 1: I can't copy files. This problem started about a week ago, maybe sooner. I get an error saying the file already exists.

Specific example: 1. I was trying to move stuff off a USB drive onto the desktop. No matter how I named it, I still couldn't get the folder onto the desktop. (It would stop at the first file name inside the folder saying x file already exists.) I ended up giving up and just deleting the folder rather than copying it. (hoping the folder and its contents *really* do exist somewhere on the machine.)

ex 2. Skype suddenly stopped working. I had to uninstall it and reinstall it. I cannot get the .dmg file into the application folder for the life of me. It says the file exists already even though I don't see it. So now if I want to use the application I have to go through the installation process each time. I tried to move the little drive icon with skype's logo to the folder. It gave me an error 43.

Problem 2: It takes forever to reboot and and reboot my imac before I can get it working. Sometimes it works but not my internet. Over half the time it boots, it gets stuck on the white loading screen with the apple and some progress bar below it. The progress bar disappears, but it gets stuck on the loading. That lasts for ? long. I give up after about 3-10 min and try rebooting.

I'm not sure if either of the problems are related, but I am growing annoyed and fear for the life of my files. Is this hard drive failure about to happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Step 1
Backup the entire Mac with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner, or both

Step 2
Open Disk Utility - run repair permissions

Step 3
Post back with which Mac you have and which version of OSX so that we can post more specific advice

OP
B
Reaction score
Time machine won't erase my files or undo files made since the the reset point right? Okay I just looked at it. I had never had it on, so I doubt it would do any good.
How do I run disk utility?

I'm using OS x Snow leopard version 10.6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Your wanting to use an external disk and Time Machine (in system preferences) to back up your data
Mac Basics: Time Machine

Disk Utility can be found in Applications - utilities or you can use spotlight (the magnifying glass top right corner) to search for it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.