External HD - use as is or re-format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi all - have had my MBP for < a week, and have the book below (on my iPad) as my initial guide to learning 'Mountain Lion' - also, purchased a Seagate external HD (1 TB; USB 3) for backup - planning to use Time Machine - now I copied my Docs/Photos/Music from my old Dell laptop and transferred manually to the new MBP - the HD was immediately recognized.

The Seagate HD is formatted NTFS & SMART is not recognized - NOW, Mr. Miser in his book is recommending that I re-format this drive to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' - SO, my question is this that important? I'll be using it only for backup purposes and seems to be working fine w/ the new computer - thanks for comments & help - Dave :)

9781118363614_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reckon you haven't tried writing to that drive from OS X yet?

You can read from, but not write to a NTFS formatted drive without 3rd party software.

Depends on how you are going to use the drive as to whether it needs to be OS X Extended Journaled (HFS+ for short) or NTFS.

Planning on using Time Machine, SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner for backups, then it will need to be formatted as HFS+.

Plan on just copying files to the drive for backup and you want to be able to move the drive back and forth between Windows and your Mac - then spend $20 and get Paragon's NTFS for Mac.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reckon you haven't tried writing to that drive from OS X yet?

You can read from, but not write to a NTFS formatted drive without 3rd party software.

Depends on how you are going to use the drive as to whether it needs to be OS X Extended Journaled (HFS+ for short) or NTFS.

Planning on using Time Machine, SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner for backups, then it will need to be formatted as HFS+......[/URL].

Hi Bobtomay - thanks for your prompt response - just trying to understand my options w/ this new external HD.

My goal is to simply use this HD w/ Time Machine on my MBP - I will have no need to interact w/ a Windows computer, plus I have this 'old' data backed up to a USB flash drive.

SO from your response, I need to reformat the drive and then it should work fine w/ my new laptop using Time Machine - correct? Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's correct. Time Machine needs the drive to be formatted as hfs+ extended journaled. Here's a How To just in case you haven't done it before. If you choose to zero the drive in step 6 it can take quite some time.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's correct. Time Machine needs the drive to be formatted as hfs+ extended journaled. Here's a How To just in case you haven't done it before. If you choose to zero the drive in step 6 it can take quite some time.

Thanks Guys - I re-formatted the HD as suggested above, and am now running Time Machine to backup my MBP - I was never asked about 'Step 6' and hope that this is not that important - bottom line, just want to backup my initial efforts w/ this new computer - again, thanks for your responses - assume that I'm OK @ the moment - :) Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You would only see the option to zero out data if you clicked on the Security Options button on that screen. That step is not a "must do". In the process of writing zeros to the drive Disk Utility tries to identify any bad areas of the drive so they will not be used.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would only see the option to zero out data if you clicked on the Security Options button on that screen. That step is not a "must do". In the process of writing zeros to the drive Disk Utility tries to identify any bad areas of the drive so they will not be used.

Thanks Slydude - believe that I'll be fine w/ the drive - appreciate the help! :) Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.