Converting files to audible files and merging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have done a search on ths and came up with one hit that didn't help. I am on iTunes 11 unfortunately.

I have just ripped 11 CDs with an audible book on them, 143 tracks in all. I selected all of the tracks, right clicked and selected options.

On the options I select Media kind to Audiobook, Part of a compilation to yes, Remember position to yes and Skip when shuffling to yes and OK. It seemes to do the conversion very quickly and when I try playing the book on iTunes it goes from CD1 to CD2, etc. with no problems. So I synched it to my iPod Touch and tried it. It goes from track to track but when it gets to the end of CD1 t stops. On looking back at iTunes it tells me on the options menu the the Media kind is Music, the Part of a compilation, Remember position and Skip when shuffling are are at Yes but the boxes on the left are now ticked

The file type showing for the files is' ACC audio file and the tracks are in the crono order on the CDs

Anyone know how I can get this to work please:Not-Amused:

I have also tried to merge the track on Audacity and gave up after it crashed 4 times, each time I tried to do anything. I couldn't find the way to even start a merge???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have been an Audible member for 5-6 years now. Best app I found when i was still ripping CDs was Audiobook Builder. The big positive is the files are recognized as Books by iTunes.

When you combine them, don't put more than around 7 - 8 hours max in one file.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Well Bob, I went with your recommendation of Audiobook Builder and lashed out nearly £5 for it and now have the book converted that I've been struggeling with for ages. So a very big thank you to you for taking the time to answer!!

The book that I have converted is called Enigma, Robert Harris and is a story of code cracking in WW2. It is 11 hours long. Do you know if there is a way to link the 2 parts that I have created? I took your other recommendation about no longer than 7 hours.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's been awhile - I've been using the Audible app for my books for a couple of years now instead of the music app on my phone. I had done something that worked at starting the next part of a book when it finished one part - but am getting senile.

I think, once you have the book in iTunes - make sure you head in and set them both up as a compilation and input the disk # 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 in the corresponding file. See if that will work for you. There may have been a setting in the Audiobook Builder app that did that for me also??.

Don't know if it's still the case, but there were several issues surrounding those files when longer than 8 hours that I read about - so kept mine at around 7 and never had a problem with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.