How come I cannot delete some files?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have Mountain Lion 10.8.3... and I noticed this week that there are some files I cannot delete...

Let me explain more...

I can see those files when doing a search in Finder (one .zip file I downloaded recently, some temp .js files used by Firefox and some more), but those file doesn't have an icon (blank square).
I know for sure I don't need those files, so I want to delete them, but I cannot drag them to the recycle bin nor use the delete key.

When I double-click on them, I receive this error:
"The alias "filename" can't be opened because the original item can't be found".

I click on the "Delete Alias" but it doesn't change a thing.
Those looks like "zombie" files.

How can I delete them?
Or is it the search index that is not up-to-date? (It's been more than a week since I noticed that though).

Is there anything I can do?
Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Try holding down the command key and dragging the icon to the Trash. It's worth a shot. Works for a few other situations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
if you can drag the files to the trash like toMACsh said, when you delete the trash, in the finder, click on the finder from the top left of the screen and secure empty the trash. That may work.

OP
S
Reaction score
I cannot drag the file to the trash... even by holding the command key.
It looks like the files are not there anymore... but still appears when I do a search in the Finder. I would really like to get rid of those files.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Good deal !
I wouldn't have thought of that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.