Can an ipad screen be scratched by finger nails?

Reaction score
I let my girlfriend use my iPad, she was playing a game and being quite violent with the screen, I told her to stop as she is very clumsy, and then later that night I saw my screen had quite a few scratches on it, including one that looks like the curvy shape of a nail, exact same size and shape of a nail... but people keep saying online nails can't scratch glass... are they wrong? it definitely looks like a nail to me and I can't think of it being anything else.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It would take something a lot harder than a fingernail

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Most consumers devices with touchscreens have some sort of coating (Gorilla glass for example) that makes them stronger and better able to deal with scratches.

To be able to scratch the screen she must have been using a knife or a blade or some other sharp object..it'd be pretty hard to do it with just fingernails..unless they are trimmed down such a fine point at the end that they act as a blade..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
... but people keep saying online nails can't scratch glass... are they wrong? it definitely looks like a nail to me and I can't think of it being anything else.

Are her nails 100% natural...or does she have some sort of nail tip "enhancements". If so, maybe "fake nails" are harder than natural nails...and maybe this could lead to scratching.

I don't know for sure...maybe something to look into if her nails do have "enhancements".

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Are her nails 100% natural...or does she have some sort of nail tip "enhancements". If so, maybe "fake nails" are harder than natural nails...and maybe this could lead to scratching.

I don't know for sure...maybe something to look into if her nails do have "enhancements".

- Nick

LOL fingernail enhancements. AKA acrylic, and or gel nails.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL fingernail enhancements. AKA acrylic, and or gel nails.

Certainly a topic we don't get to discuss very often!!!;) Especially among a predominately male membership (just sayin')!

And hey...I'm not saying if you're a male...that you can't wear "fingernail enhancements"!;)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Certainly a topic we don't get to discuss very often!!!;) Especially among a predominated male membership (just sayin')!

And hey...I'm not saying if you're a male...that you can't wear "fingernail enhancements"!;)

- Nick

Don't think I ever seen a guy with finger nail enhancements.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

If you ever watched a season of America's Got Talent, then you've seen a male with fingernail enhancements. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Maybe you haven't exactly "seen" this person "in person"...but I wouldn't be surprised if Marilyn Manson has worn "nail enhancements".

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you ever watched a season of America's Got Talent, then you've seen a male with fingernail enhancements. ;)

Maybe you haven't exactly "seen" this person "in person"...but I wouldn't be surprised if Marilyn Manson has worn "nail enhancements".

- Nick

I don't watch much tv and who is Marilyn Manson?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Edward Scissorhands could probably scratch an iPad screen, but I doubt the girlfriend with "enhancements" could. My wife uses the said "enhancements" and goes crazy on her iPad and iPhone and there is not one scratch on either of them. I hear clicking all evening long, nearly every day from her nails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
Is it possible that it's not really scratches but marks left from a nail polish or "nail enhancement"?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it possible that it's not really scratches but marks left from a nail polish or "nail enhancement"?

No just finger prints and grease.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
It shouldn't be a problem. I have long nails and I haven't scratched my iPad 1 or my phone with em. That and both screens have seen a lot worse than that XP.

Only problem I've ever noticed with long nails is that you can't touch the screen effectively with your fingertips because the nails are in the way. I end up flattening my fingers which can make it awkward to type on the touch keyboard.

Two things if you're super worried tho:

#1. Get a screen protector. That way if you do get scratches the plastic coating will take the damage and you can just peel it off and replace to go back to a scratchless screen.

#2. Try getting one of those iPad styluses. They sell them almost everywhere now. I have one for my iPad and this cute little one I have attached to my phone's headphone jack. They're really helpful with the long nail problem I mentioned, they don't leave fingerprints, and they're a soft rubber tip so it won't scratch your screen.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

What? why? O:)

Not knowing who Marilyn Manson is. You probably have no idea who the Kardashians are, or anyone from the show Jersey Shore. Count yourself incredibly lucky, you have avoided a number of blights on the highway of life by not having any brain cells die over these so-called people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.