2008 Black MacBook-Can't Read Restore CDs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook
Hey all! I want to restore my MacBook back to it's factory settings, but it won't read my original Install/Restore CDs! It is currently running OSX 10.7.5, so I believe it won't read them because the CDs were made during the PowerPC to Intel switch era, and Lion doesn't have Rosetta like Snow Leopard did. The install CDs are for 10.5.2.

What can I do about this, if anything? I'm at sort of a loss here... thanks!

OP
phalanx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook
MacBook Specs:
Model: 4,1
CPU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 MB

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey all! I want to restore my MacBook back to it's factory settings, but it won't read my original Install/Restore CDs! It is currently running OSX 10.7.5, so I believe it won't read them because the CDs were made during the PowerPC to Intel switch era, and Lion doesn't have Rosetta like Snow Leopard did. The install CDs are for 10.5.2.

What can I do about this, if anything? I'm at sort of a loss here... thanks!

If these are the original gray discs that shipped with the computer:

- boot the computer from the CD #1 (hold down the "c" key when rebooting the computer)
- then reinstall the OS.

Good Luck,

- Nick

OP
phalanx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are the grey disks, however whenever I put the disk in and hold the 'C' key at startup it spins in the drive for a minute and the computer spits it right back out. It then proceeds to boot normally to Lion/current operating system =[

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are the grey disks, however whenever I put the disk in and hold the 'C' key at startup it spins in the drive for a minute and the computer spits it right back out. It then proceeds to boot normally to Lion/current operating system =[

Maybe the problem is a busted or dirty optical drive...or dirty/scratched/damaged disks.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are they the original discs, or did you borrow/buy them used?

OP
phalanx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Success! I used an external disk drive and it worked flawlessly. What a fluke, I wonder what's wrong with my internal drive... thanks for your help Nick.

C

chas_m

The internal drive on the Black MacBooks was prone to failure, particularly after a period of heavy use.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Take a can of compressed air as a first round of troubleshooting a slot loading optical drive and shoot 3-4 quick bursts in different directions in the slot - while the machine is powered down and unplugged preferably. And do make sure the discs are clean - and no scratches.

While slot loaders seem to be more prone to failure based on the number of posts we see, the above action about once a year has restored the slot loader in my 6 yr old MBP every time it has quit reading discs - at least so far.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Success! I used an external disk drive and it worked flawlessly. What a fluke, I wonder what's wrong with my internal drive... thanks for your help Nick.

Congratulations!:) As bobtomay suggested...blow it out with some canned air. Let's hope it is just dirty. But as chas_m mentioned...the slot loading optical drives can be less reliable then the tray loading optical drives that used to be found in all desktops...so there is the possibility that the drive may have failed.

Fingers crossed that it's just some dirt.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.