A Message waiting to be viewed ? ? ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Not something I normally am bothered by, but upon returning from a few days away, I noticed that my Messages icon on the dock showed 1/2 doz unread messages. Odd in that all messages had been viewed on iPhone. So I open Messages and see a blue dot next to my daughter's ID. I read all the messages, thinking I perhaps missed a few when phone was charging, etc. I quit the program and all indications of unread messages were gone. Then a red 1 popped up on the Messages icon, but when I checked, there were no new messages. I went through all my iphone pals to see if I missed something from them-nothing. I noticed a blue dot next to my daughter's ID again, but nothing new from her. So-how do I get rid of the red numbers on the icon when there are no new messages? How do I identify who is sending me a message while using Messages and what is that blue dot supposed to tell me? Thanks.

C

chas_m

The flag is saying there are unread messages on *this device.* Messages hasn't gotten quite as smart as IMAP email yet and so it doesn't know that you already saw the messages on another device. The badge clears as soon as you open Messages so it's not really a big deal, but yes it would be nice if they'd fix that.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
chas_m Even after I re-read all messages, those red numbers stayed put. Quitting the program and restarting seemed to solve the problem. Still confused by blue dot, however.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.