Dock Overlapping question

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently bought my first macbook, an older model but one which could still run Mountain Lion. I'm wondering if there's a way to put the dock permanently at the forefront of the screen, overlapping the windows behind it. I've taken a screenshot of this by turning on "Automatically hide and show the Dock", dragging my window to the bottom, and turning it back off. But if I do this, every time I minimize or open a new window, it resizes itself to accomodate the dock.

I really do like this way a lot better - it makes it seem like I have quite a bit more screen real estate.

What I'm going for:

Yyc2vcn.png

By the way, I didn't get any responses when I asked on reddit, which is why I'm asking here. Haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The Dock *should" always be at the forefront of the screen.. Are you saying that normally you can drag a window to *cover* the dock???

BTW... I keep my dock on the Right, for more perceived screen real-estate. Or a simple Command+Option+d to toggle the hiding of the Dock. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
The Dock *should" always be at the forefront of the screen.. Are you saying that normally you can drag a window to *cover* the dock???

BTW... I keep my dock on the Right, for more perceived screen real-estate. Or a simple Command+Option+d to toggle the hiding of the Dock. ;)

Well, it is always at the forefront, but what I'm trying to do it make it overlap on windows behind it. Normally you can't resize the window past the top of the dock, like this:

7rE4O4Z.png

In my screenshot in the OP I was able to resize the window such that the dock was on top of the application instead of below the application. That's what I'm trying to make happen all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ahhhh.. I "see" what you are "saying" ;)

I don't know that OSX will allow for what you are wanting.. Have you considered moving the Dock to the Left, or keeping it set on Auto-Hide...

Might be a dumb questions... but... you know in Auto-Hide mode, you still have access to the dock by dragging the mouse to the bottom of the screen, then the Dock reappears right? You don't have to toggle the feature on and off to use the Dock.

Just a thought :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm wondering if there's a way to put the dock permanently at the forefront of the screen, overlapping the windows behind it. I've taken a screenshot of this by turning on "Automatically hide and show the Dock", dragging my window to the bottom, and turning it back off. But if I do this, every time I minimize or open a new window, it resizes itself to accomodate the dock.

I really do like this way a lot better - it makes it seem like I have quite a bit more screen real estate.

This confuses me. If you put your Dock on hide/show, it doesn't just seem like you have more screen area, you actually do have more visible screen area. I don't think there is a way to do what you are wanting to do, probably because it didn't seem logical to the Apple programmers (or their boss).

OP
D
Reaction score
This confuses me. If you put your Dock on hide/show, it doesn't just seem like you have more screen area, you actually do have more visible screen area. I don't think there is a way to do what you are wanting to do, probably because it didn't seem logical to the Apple programmers (or their boss).

Okay, I guess I'll just deal with the pop out delay. Thanks for confirming there's no way to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Okay, I guess I'll just deal with the pop out delay. Thanks for confirming there's no way to do it.

If it's the delay you are bothered by, eliminate it :)

Open Terminal.app Copy/paste the below command into Terminal. Press Return. Viola! No delay ;

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Dock autohide-delay -float 0 && killall Dock

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.