How do I get into true full screen mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Windows - f8 gets to true, edge-to-edge full screen with no borders (say, viewing pics). "Fullscreen" with my iMac still leaves the Bookmarks, Address and Tab bars. So before I give up and go back to Windows (j/k...), is it possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
You didn't mention what you are using to view your photo's. If you are using IPhoto, then up in the right hand corner of the screen, just bellow the Desktop toolbar there are two grey arrows. Click the one pointing up and it will take the border out to full screen. Then to get the desktop tool bar back again just push the mouse arrow up to the right hand corner of the screen and you will see two red arrows. Click on the down arrow and your toolbar will return. HTH.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
In the top right corner of the window, there should be what looks like two arrows pointing away from each other. Click that to go to full screen. While in full screen you can swipe left or right across your Magic Mouse to switch between your desktop(s) and your full screen apps.

To exit full screen mode, move the mouse pointer towards the top of the screen to get the menu bar back. The same double arrow symbol will be in the top right corner highlighted in blue.

The shortcut key to toggle full screen mode is Control-Command-F.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CR, thanks, but that dosen't cut it. Only the top bar is removed.

Edit, not iPhoto, but any situation.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
CR, thanks, but that dosen't cut it. Only the top bar is removed.

Edit, not iPhoto, but any situation.

You never said which application you are trying to get into full screen. Not all applications can do full screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's not "one screen fits all" so to speak.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ALRIGHT, I figured it out, purely by accident.

View > Presentation Mode, goes to true edge-to-edge full screen (Command + Shift + F).
So in Mac-speak fullscreen is called "presentation." Completely nonsensical.

Caution: Don't go to full screen mode (click the double arrow thingamabob, upper right) and then go to Presentation. If you do, you will be stuck in Presentation (no option to see View).
You'll have to open a new window to be able to get out of Full.

Incredibly poor design and ridiculously unnecessarily complicated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Incredibly poor design and ridiculously unnecessarily complicated.

Maybe. Of course it only seems "Incredibly poor design and ridiculously unnecessarily complicated"...because you didn't know how to do it. Now that you know how to do it...it's easy!:)

Things we don't know how to do almost always seem complicated...until we know how to do them.

Also...no one ever said that the Mac OS was 100% better than Windows in everything!;) Well...maybe some folks say this...but then they're not really being honest!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Windows - f8 gets to true, edge-to-edge full screen with no borders (say, viewing pics). "Fullscreen" with my iMac still leaves the Bookmarks, Address and Tab bars. So before I give up and go back to Windows (j/k...), is it possible?

Just curious . . . but where in Windows does F8 go full screen? It has presentation mode (since Vista) in the mobility options, but even that isn't function key activated.

It's F11 in a browser but I'm unaware of a function key that makes anything, system wide, go full screen in Windows. Would be happy if there was.... but it's not F8

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Yes, I was entirely wrong. In Windows 7 and Windows XP, click the F11 key at the top of your keyboard.
Vista I assume is the same way. Windows 8, hopefully it's still as straight forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That's only in a web browser. It's not system-wide

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
View > Presentation Mode, goes to true edge-to-edge full screen (Command + Shift + F).
So in Mac-speak fullscreen is called "presentation." Completely nonsensical. [...] Incredibly poor design and ridiculously unnecessarily complicated.

That's only in a web browser. It's not system-wide
Exactly - presentation mode is a feature of Chrome, nothing else (or at least as far as I can tell). If someone is to blame for the operation, it's Google, not Apple.

Caution: Don't go to full screen mode (click the double arrow thingamabob, upper right) and then go to Presentation. If you do, you will be stuck in Presentation (no option to see View).
You'll have to open a new window to be able to get out of Full.
Moving your mouse to the top edge of the screen, regardless of "mode" will reveal the menubar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
"Cmd Shift F" - you learn something everyday here. Thank you people!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.