Outlook for Mac 2011 - ICS files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
I receive my emails through Office 2011 for Mac (Outlook). When I do my online grocery shopping, the email confirmation contains an ICS file as an attachment. When I was using Windows I would simply click on the ICS file attachment and I could then save an Outlook Calendar appointment.

However, when I click the ICS file attachment on Outlook for Mac it starts a new email with the ICS file as an attachment.

Is there a way that I can get this ICS file to save a new Calendar appointment?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Rather than clicking on the ICS file, just drag it from the e-mail you received to the Calendar icon on your Dock (assuming it's sitting in your Dock) and it will add the event..

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
^ I have the OS X Calendar app in my dock. However, I want to add the appointment to my Calendar app in Outlook itself. I've tried dragging it from the email to the Calendar tab in Outlook but that did not work.

Reaction score
I have this problem too

Has anyone got a solution?

I can't click on an ics attachment in mac. it always opens mac calendar regardless of the default being outlook, and when you push it to open in outlook it opens as an email attachment to a new email not as a calendar item. Why?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Thanks Sylvester. Yes that works.
It's not ideal to have to have to save the attachment out of outlook, then go to finder to drag it back in, but it's a good workaround. Thank you for finding that.
Charles

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad to help. There might be a more efficient way to do what you want but I don't use Outlook so I've got a lot to learn about it.

M

MacInWin

Would it work to drag one .ics file to the desktop, then right click and Get Info and change the "Open with:" entry to Outlook, the Change All? Seems to me that might work.

Reaction score
File problems? OS/memory problem?

I had two ics files, one opened as a calendar item in any way I tried (dragging, double clicking, open with Outlook, etc.), the other one opened as an emil attachment no matter what I did. So something was not right with the file. However, after a certain long period of time, the same latter file was able to open as a calendar item. I could not pinpoint what the issue was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.