Snow Leopard on late 2011 macbook 17"??

Reaction score
Hi there,

Looking to buy an i7 late 2011 macbook pro 17" and want to run SL on it.
I have an original 10.6 SL disk. Will this install on the macbook?
If not how do i do it??
Thanks

C

chas_m

No, it will not run anything earlier than the OS it shipped with, and that one did not ship with Snow Leopard. I'd suggest moving up to Mountain Lion, it's great.

C

chas_m

Lion was introduced in July, 2011. Your "late 2011" Macbook Pro was made in October 2011 or later, so NO, none of them ever shipped with Snow Leopard.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You, traditionally, cannot install an older version of OS X than what came on the Mac. The 2011 model either comes with Lion or upgraded to Mountain Lion. You can only reliably go foward from there, not backward.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Looking to buy an i7 late 2011 macbook pro 17" and want to run SL on it.
I have an original 10.6 SL disk. Will this install on the macbook?

The last MacBook Pro's that were able to run Snow Leopard were the "Early 2011" models. If you need to run Snow Leopard...and you want the newest MacBook Pro possible...then an "Early 2011" model is what you want.:)

If not how do i do it??

This is a very interesting statement. If it can't be done...it can't be done. If your told that SL cannot be installed on that MacBook Pro...then it can't be do. You don't say..."If not...how do I do it??";)

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
well there is a number of people saying that you can..

If you have another Mac, do a Clean Install of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto that, run all the updates and then, if the Mac has Firewire, use Target Disk Mode to connect the new MBP to the older Mac and clone the 10.6.8 OS onto the new MBP via CarbonCopyCloner.

some others have said if you can get hold of a SL 10.6.7 disk then it will work off that.
hence the 'if not how do i do it?'. It doesn't work from the original SL disk apparently. But there is ways around it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
well there is a number of people saying that you can..

some others have said if you can get hold of a SL 10.6.7 disk then it will work off that.
hence the 'if not how do i do it?'. It doesn't work from the original SL disk apparently. But there is ways around it.

If you ask enough people...eventually you will find some people who will swear humans can fly too!;)

Since the "Late 2011" MacBook Pro's are only 1 generation newer than the last MacBook Pro that could "officially" run SL (the "Early 2011" MacBook Pro's)...maybe there is some sort of "hack" or "creative method" that can get SL running on it. If it does work...it's possible that it may be a little bit "flakey", less stable, or all features won't work properly.

All I can say is..."officially" "Late 2011" MacBook Pro's are not supposed to be able to run SL.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well suggest asking the 'others' and doing it their way and see what you are left with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.