audio editing

Reaction score
Hi. New owner. Have been using Cooledit and early version of Audition on PC for music creation. Looking for Mac software similar. Waveform edit, multichannel mixing, mixdown. I put down my tracks with a digital recorder, import them for tweaking (effects, etc,), put them together and do the eq, pan, volume thing, and render them to stereo. Love my plugins, like the amount of VST floating around. Have spend hours reading, looking, testing, and have yet to find something as simple, yet flexible, as above. APPreciate the input.

C

chas_m

Audition CS6 is also available for the Mac. I am probably not at the same level on audio than you but I also use Amadeus Pro and really enjoy it (works with VST and AU plugins) as a multi-track audio editor (I mostly use it for podcasts and radio ads, that sort of thing).

Other choices that are well-regarded include Triumph the insult comic dog (sorry, couldn't resist) that used to be called Wave Editor, DSP-Quattro and Sound Studio, among others.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey, Chas. Thank you for this. I thought I had seen every option, but a couple of these are new to me and appear to have the kind of interface my particular imagination prefers. And thanks for the Newbie thing too, very timely, because of course the first thing I want to do as a PC exuser (Not "excuser," trust me!) is to put data files where I want them. It's an understandable reaction to having Windows bury stuff as far away from the root directly as possible. And, oh yeah, "search" is such a joy too! Anyway, I'll be experimenting with a couple of these tonight.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the links to those editors Chas. I've been using Amadeus Pro for years. Though I mat have to buy new licenses. Can't seem to find one of my codes.

I think I have also used Sound Studio for a bit though it seems to have improved since last I checked. I do a little live recording (not so much since I'm no longer working on the MacOSG Podcast at the moment) I am mainly transferring old cassette recordings and attempting to filter some of the noise. Which program you prefer?

@Stefan Gregor Welcome to the boards. Just noticed that you are a new member. One other plug regarding Amadeus Pro. I once contacted the author after an upgrade because the program was crashing immediately at launch and had not done so before. Within about two hours I had received confirmation they were looking into the matter. About 24 hours later a fix was up. Turned out to be some kind of conflict with Norton AntiVirus/ Utilities.

OP
S
Reaction score
@slydude: Screenshots suggest to me that Amadeus is worth a looksee. That they proved responsive when you had a problem is a huge plus. Support: I had a really stupid moment the first day on my iMac, and had to call Help. In 10 minutes I got a callback and a very patient and knowledgeable young woman walked me through in a couple of minutes. Any doubts that remained about making the switch disappeared. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using Macs since the early 1990s and had to call Apple a handful of times. The experience has always been pleasant even if I did not like the answer. The experience has been a bit more uneven when dealing with some of the authorized resellers.

BTW Here a link to a demo of Amadeus. If I recall correctly it is fully functional for the first ten saves. After that saves/exporting features are disabled until it is licensed.

C

chas_m

Thanks for the links to those editors Chas. I've been using Amadeus Pro for years. Though I mat have to buy new licenses. Can't seem to find one of my codes.

Just contact Martin Hairer directly from the web site, he can probably help you. He switched over to a new setup for 2.0 so you may need to pay an upgrade fee.

I think I have also used Sound Studio for a bit though it seems to have improved since last I checked.

The original author(s), Lucius Kwok and Agnes Chan, regained the rights to the program from Ambrosia (which let it languish I feel, though overall I like Ambrosia greatly) and have both lowered the price and improved it. I've not used my copy too extensively but for basic work t is very comparable to Amadeus Lite 2.x and the same price, might even be better in some ways.

I am mainly transferring old cassette recordings and attempting to filter some of the noise. Which program you prefer?

Because I've used it more, Amadeus Pro. I do a lot of exactly this (clean up old cassettes) and it's really an art form which neither program will make automatic for you. Both SS and AP handle the same VST and AU plugins so on this point I'd say they are equally good.

A program I haven't tried yet that promises to make cassette hiss better is Denoise, which I should look into. There's also a hiss filter in CD Spin Doctor (part of the Roxio Toast Package) but I wouldn't rate it that highly, as it tends to muffle the sound as well as get rid of the hiss. Sound Soap 2 was the best I ever found for that but even that was still finicky (and with a wretched interface compared to the original Sound Soap).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that info chas. That kind of matches my experiences.

I had not thought to contact them yet. I think I know where the second code is but have not had time to track it down. I think both of the codes I have are for 2.0 so I should be good there.

As for Sound Soap and Spin Doctor I have to agree entirely. Right down to the wretched interface. Good description BTW mine was a bit more, shall we say, "colorful". Spin Doctor was so bad for me that I got better results by using Amadeus's denoise filter to sample a section of the his and then applying the denies filter. I haven't played with filters much so I am open for a better suggestion if you have one.

I think I became aware of Sound Studio during the time they were making the transition to Ambrosia or shortly after they acquired it. They did let it languish a bit which is unusual for them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.