How partition a new Mac Mini (and install Leopard)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Others may have different results but I did not like doing this. I tried it with a 32" Samsung TV (720p resolution) and my 2006 Mac Pro. Some tasks such as looking at photos and watching videos were fine but reading menus and other interface elements was a bit difficult in many audio/video programs. Part of that may be my vision but it's also true that text just does not look as sharp on TV monitors as it does on computers. Jerking with the resolution settings may help a bit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem was the 720P resolution. Definitely not the best quality from a Mac or PC even with a good graphics card. However, a TV of 1080P resolution looks good.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always wondered whether that was not part of the problem. The set is not very old but was purchased shortly before the price of 1080 sets started to drop. Just my luck. The graphics card in that Mac could have been beefed up a bit too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks - here is another one. I am considering a used iMac - a 2011. I looked up the specs iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2011) - Technical Specifications and there does not seem to be a video out port - is that what Thunderbolt is for? Is there such a thing as a Thunderbolt to HDMI
cable?

Thunderbolt port info:

Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.

As far as video out...when it comes to video...the Thunderbolt port is the same as a mini-Display port. So if you still have an HDMI need...then you would need a mini-display port to HDMI adapter.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
K
Reaction score
Thank so much! OK - I COULD BE DOWN TO MY FINAL QUESTION because I think I know what the only affordable solution is for me at this time. What is the latest, most powerful Mac Mini version I could buy used that will run Leopard/Snow Leopard? I guess it would have to be the year model that came with Leopard/Snow Leopard as the OS. I am thinking a Lion released Mac Mini would also not be able to go back an OS generation.

My iMac ran ProTools 8 without a problem and it only has a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I am betting the used Mac Mini that will work for me is at least as capable as this.

I am seeing this http://support.apple.com/kb/SP585
as the last one that used a Leopard. (I think) The 2011 release came with Lion. The Lion one did use an i5 processor, which would be nice but I am guessing I could not install Snow Leopard on that either.

Would the RAM from my iMac (two 2 MB cards) fit into this machine? These Mac Mini's only came with 2mb.

AND, if someone has installed Mountain Lion on it I can go back without a problem? Just a side note - I have looked these up on Ebay and they sell for almost as much as the new October 2012 i5's! I thought they would be around $300 - they are not!

Kevin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the latest, most powerful Mac Mini version I could buy used that will run Leopard/Snow Leopard?

I don't know man...you seem to be all over the place with this computer issue.

- first when the thread began you were asking about a Mac-Mini
- then saying that you're going to repair your broken iMac
- then asking a question about the video on your old iMac
- then asking a question about the video on a newer iMac
- now asking about a Mac-Mini again

I think that you would really be doing yourself a favor (to simplify things) if you first either decided to fix or not fix your old iMac. If not...then decide on whether you're going to get an newer Mac-Mini or newer iMac. By being "all over the map" so to speak...you're probably making things very confusing (for you & us).;)

Anyway...regarding your latest question (newest Mac-Mini that can run Leopard/Snow Leopard). First of all do you really mean that it needs to able to run both Leopard & Snow Leopard? Remember...Leopard is OS 10.5...and Snow Leopard is OS 10.6.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I am down to getting a Mac Mini that will run ProTools 8. I want to use the 40 inch HDTV for editing ProTools two main windows and for being able to really see the waveforms for editing.
I did not think there was much of a difference between Lepoard and Snow Leopard - unless that is when Apple stopped using Rosetta. I thought that support was discontinued with Lion.

I just do not need ProTools 10 for what I do. It is not worth $400 plus $50 for an iLock dongle and then tax on top of both.

Anway, the late year release of the 2010 Mac Mini came with Snow Leopard installed...if that supports ProTools 8 - or if not, would allow me to install Leopard, I am good to go.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anway, the late year release of the 2010 Mac Mini came with Snow Leopard installed...

Yes...I mentioned this back in post #12 of the thread.;)

...would allow me to install Leopard, I am good to go. if that supports ProTools 8 - or if not,

I'm not sure if this is a question...but no...the mid-2010 Mac-Mini cannot run Leopard (OS 10.5).

The mid-2010 Mac-Mini was the last Mac-Mini to be able to run Snow Leopard (it shipped with Snow Leopard)...that's the main point of this computer...it's the last Mac-Mini to be able to run Snow Leopard.

This means Snow Leopard is the "oldest" Mac OS version this Mac-Mini can run. Since Leopard (Mac OS 10.5) is older than Snow Leopard...a mid-2010 Mac-Mini cannot run Leopard. But a mid-2010 Mac-Mini running Snow Leopard can run Rosetta...which allows the running of older PPC apps.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
So FINAL QUESTION! Amazon has the Mid-2010 - MC270LL/A Mac Mini. The one with the best price has OSX 10.7 on it. I am going to assume that by putting this on the person that did it also did not do some kind firmware that would prevent me from returning it to Snow Leopard? And finally, Can I zero format this drive from it's Disk Utility app and then partition it into two drives - one with Snow Leopard for ProTools8 and one with Mountain Lion so I finally can download a version of iTunes that will work with my iPhone 5! I think if I put 8MB of RAM in it the machine should be highly capable.
I think this is all I need to know!
Thanks again!

C

chas_m

For the record: the latest iTunes runs on 10.6.8, and works with your iPhone 5. iCloud, however, won't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.