Word frozen

Reaction score
I was copying emails into Word when it froze and I can't figure out how to unfreeze the Word file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Word usually freezes on mine to.
If you can get to the toolbar (spcificly the apple logo), chick "force quit" or press "command-option-escape" at the same time.

Sorry, wont save if you do this:|

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you can't interact with Word but the rest of the system is happy, you can "force quit" as recommended above and Word usually does incremental auto saves of documents and should prompt you to recover when you restart.

However, I'm not sure if Word auto-saves unnamed or never saved documents. In which case you will have to restart the entire process over again..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, I'm not sure if Word auto-saves unnamed or never saved documents. In which case you will have to restart the entire process over again..

The auto-save feature of Word (Word 2011) is almost useless when Word freezes or the machine freezes. The MS Word forums are filled with horror stories about this. About the only effective way to protect your documents in Word is to select "Always Make a Backup" in preferences. That way, at least you'll have your document minus any edits you made when the freeze occurred.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.