Macbook is slow…. on boot up

Reaction score
I have 4GB's of RAM but as my Mac is a mid 2009 model which I bought refurbished in early 2010 I think that may be the biggest issue. Howver I wonder if I popped in 6GB's of RAM if that would do any good. 4GB's was plenty to run Snow Leopard but ML seems to make it more sluggish, especially upon boot-up and after sleep. However I will add that during operation the Mac is fine. Looking at activity monitor I see that I have 731MB's of RAM free at this time and I usualy have the following apps open.

Outlook
Word
Safari
iTunes
iPhoto
Reminders
Calendar
Contacts
Notes

So is the problem just the age of the mac and the CPU speed? My parents have a much more modern Mac with also 4GB's of RAM and it runs far faster. Perhaps the main issue is the CPU speed. But I do not understand why the Mac is mostly sluggish on boot-up, but seems to work fine during operation.
-----
I have a macbook Mid 2009 2.13ghz with 4GB's of RAM running Mountain Lion.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So is the problem just the age of the mac and the CPU speed? My parents have a much more modern Mac with also 4GB's of RAM and it runs far faster. Perhaps the main issue is the CPU speed. But I do not understand why the Mac is mostly sluggish on boot-up, but seems to work fine during operation.

Could be a hard drive problem. What I would do first is run the maintenance program Onyx:

Titanium's Software • Index page

Run the automated tasks.

If the problems persist after running Onyx...it's possible you may have to replace the hard drive. Also tell us how full & how much free space your HD has.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's also possible that some of the system files are scattered from one end of the drive to the other - along with the free space being scattered from one end of the drive to the other. In this particular scenario - typically with drives that have been in use for awhile and that have now or have had less than 50% free space, a defrag can work wonders related to your boot time. I've had a full defrag reduce my boot times from just under a minute to 26-28 seconds on my '06 MBP.

I would run Onyx if you're not use to doing that once in awhile - then download the demo of iDefrag.

The demo won't do much, but you can take a look at the fragmentation of the drive. OS X does an exceptional job at keeping your files defragmented. It does that by using the entire drive. Which means that when you look at the results, you will find very little file fragmentation, but your free space could be very fragmented. Over time, files can end up all over the place.

iDefrag does a great job at restoring your boot speed and application launch times to like new. In the testing I've done, it does a better job and provided me with faster boot times than an erase and cloning back with SuperDuper! or an erase and reinstall using Time Machine. I did run iDefrag once on a brand new install of OS X (10.6.x) and it reduced the boot time by 6 seconds - approx 20% on that machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
Installing an SSD after cloning your current drive will do more to speed up your boot times than any additional RAM. Crucial M4's can usually be found with special offers/rebates if you are persistent enough and they are among the most reliable SSD's on the market.

C

chas_m

Also, keeping that many programs open in 4GB of RAM under ML is probably a bad idea. More RAM would definitely help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.