Help | Left click not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", Mid 2010 ,2.3 GHz i5, 8GB, SSD | OS X ML
Hi,

My left click suddenly stop responding, sometime the hot corners and dock stop responding as well (I'm pretty sure it's related to the same problem, it didn't occurred before), I can move the cursor and use the right click, only left is damaged somehow.

Tried solutions which didn't solve:
Fixed Permissions.
I did backup thru time machine, clean install, restore and still the problem repeats.

*Left click didn't work also thru the boot while did new installation.
*Trackpad and the Magic mouse as well.

Appreciate your kind help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're not going to get much help, if any at all, unless you tell us.....

Year and model of your Mac?

Which version of OS X it's running?

Reaction score
Check the control button?

This happened to my dad and when I went to his house to help I noticed he had a crumb (or something) stuck in his keyboard that was keeping the control button engaged. We vacuumed it out and viola!

Hope your problem is solved soon!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More details

You're not going to get much help, if any at all, unless you tell us.....

Year and model of your Mac?

Which version of OS X it's running?

Hi cshcag, thx for replying!

My mac is MacBook Pro i5, Mid 2010, 15".

Mountain Lion 10.8.3

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This happened to my dad and when I went to his house to help I noticed he had a crumb (or something) stuck in his keyboard that was keeping the control button engaged. We vacuumed it out and viola!

Hope your problem is solved soon!

Thx for replying!

However, I've checked each button, even open the mac with tools and unfortunately everything seems to be look good, but the problem repeats.. :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. Boot your machine to the Recovery Partition:

Reboot and hold down the command and r keys at the same time as soon as you hear the boot sound. Once in recovery, select "Utilities". From Utilities, select "Disk Utility". From Disk Utility, run "Repair Permissions". After that's finished, exit recovery and boot back to normal mode. Let's see if that solved the problem.

I know you said you fixed permissions, but unless the hard drive is dismounted, repairing permissions doesn't always work. If that fails to solve the problem, post back and we'll try something else.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Recovery, Repair permissions

OK, thanks for posting back. Boot your machine to the Recovery Partition:

Reboot and hold down the command and r keys at the same time as soon as you hear the boot sound. Once in recovery, select "Utilities". From Utilities, select "Disk Utility". From Disk Utility, run "Repair Permissions". After that's finished, exit recovery and boot back to normal mode. Let's see if that solved the problem.

Thx for quick reply, even thru Recovery mode I can't use the Left click.

However, 2 days ago, when the problem occurred, I did:
Backup with time machine.
Boot into recovery mode.
Repaired permissions, erase Macintosh HD.
Clean install from my usb boot installation which i made.
Restore thru time machine.

All the way I didn't have the Left click.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Attachment

Another thing happened to me that made me make new install is kernel panic few days before. (See attached)

Suddenly everything safari stop responding, then the mac stop and when i did restart i got the message in the attachment.

So it gave me good reason to make new installation.

1.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't really read the KP good enough (image too small) to make heads or tails what it's saying. But why don't you try this:

Boot to safe mode: Reboot and hold down your shift key as soon as you hear the boot sound. When in safe mode try using the left click from the track pad and mouse. Let's see if it works there.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't really read the KP good enough (image too small) to make heads or tails what it's saying. But why don't you try this:

Boot to safe mode: Reboot and hold down your shift key as soon as you hear the boot sound. When in safe mode try using the left click from the track pad and mouse. Let's see if it works there.

I boot into safe mode (it's super slowly), I can use Magic Mouse left click BUT:
1. First time I hover the dock to see Magnification work, it did but very slow, I click wherever I can in order to test the reaction, after 1 or 2 minutes the Mac Freeze so I hole the power button to shut it down.
2. Second time I still stayed in the login screen, without to enter my user and once I touch the builtin Trackpad, it's stop responding.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may indicate a problem with the hard drive. Boot back to the Recovery partition, run Disk Utility and do a verify - repair on the hard drive. Let's see what it reports back. Since the left click seemed to work OK in safe mode we may be dealing with a software glitch. But let's wait and see what Disk Utility says about the hard drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may indicate a problem with the hard drive. Boot back to the Recovery partition, run Disk Utility and do a verify - repair on the hard drive. Let's see what it reports back. Since the left click seemed to work OK in safe mode we may be dealing with a software glitch. But let's wait and see what Disk Utility says about the hard drive.

Ok will update

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Verified, no need repair. HD is healthy.

What else can try?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.