Quick question

Reaction score
I have a buddy who wants to sell me a 2008 model iMac for $500. 20.1 inch 2008 iMac with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive. Comes with Mac OS X Lion are the specs he sent me. I don't do anything real intense on the computer mainly surf the web, netflix and sometimes a few games. I was wondering if this computer would be fine for me and if that is a fair price? Please let me know and thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can check the average selling price by going to this web site and putting in the specs: Mac2Sell.net

C

chas_m

I personally would not buy it at that price, and Mac2Sell says it is worth $460 (and it tends to be optimistic).

The unit is a perfectly fine computer, and should meet the specs for Mountain Lion (checked: it does). However, my concern for you is that the graphics card (which is not upgradeable) is a 128GB card. GREAT for casual/moderate gaming, not really good enough for heavy gaming. This machine would also struggle with anything above 720p video.

I think this machine would make a great computer for casual use for another couple-three years, assuming its in sound mechanical shape. I'd strongly suggest maxing out the RAM when you can, maybe consider replacing that small HD with an SSD or at least a larger, faster HD and I think you'll have a very decent machine that could last you several more years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.