2012 MBP Strange Noise

Reaction score
Hey so this is my second MBP, after 3 hard drive failures and 2 logic board replacements within a year apple decided to replace the unit and give me a brand new one. I've had it for about a week now and already Im fearing this computer will be as much trouble as the last one. There is a very strange noise coming out of the left side of the computer around the tab key and the left palm rest, it sounds like a cat purring. Its definitely not normal and is VERY annoying. Any thoughts as to what this could be?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might be a noisy fan or even the hard drive. Take it back to Apple and let them sort it out for you.

OP
R
Reaction score
Might be a noisy fan or even the hard drive. Take it back to Apple and let them sort it out for you.

I might have to but I was hoping to find a solution here before I have to drive ALL THE WAY to the apple store and deal with the "Geniuses". Also its such a low pitched sound I doubt they will be able to hear it because the apple store is always a zoo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

It shouldn't be the hard drive if the noise is coming from around the Tab key. The hard drive is under the palm rest on the R side. There is a fan above the Tab key though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Personally, I would leave it alone unless it starts becoming constant or more prominent. If you have been having that many problems with your mac then i would wait till a major problem happens.

OP
R
Reaction score
Personally, I would leave it alone unless it starts becoming constant or more prominent. If you have been having that many problems with your mac then i would wait till a major problem happens.

It is constant, its starts immediately upon booting up and doesn't stop until I shut down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As I stated above, take it back to Apple. Regardless of what may be making the noise, that's not normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.