Time Machine

Reaction score
What exactly does time machine back up? Is my whole iTunes library backed-up, or do I still need to keep a backup of media files on a external HD? Thanks everyone!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine will back up everything unless you specify in options that certain files or folders are to be excluded. Keep in mind that the first run of Time Machine will take considerable time to complete. Afterward, it will only back up what has changed. Also... Time Machine backups are not bootable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Time machine backs up every file on your OS X computer. It will back up all of your itunes files to the time machine backup so there is no need for another external backup hard drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As stated, TM backs up everything including all your settings, preferences - the lot.

BUT, that's not a reason to forget additional BU options. TM, like any drive, could fail. One of the cloning options (Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!) could be considered, and they are re-bootable. CCC also preserves the recovery partition. Again, I would (and do) use EHDs to back up all my libraries (iTunes, iMovies, iPhoto, Aperture).

The truth is, you cannot have too much BU.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Time Machine will back up everything unless you specify in options that certain files or folders are to be excluded. Keep in mind that the first run of Time Machine will take considerable time to complete. Afterward, it will only back up what has changed. Also... Time Machine backups are not bootable.

Obtained the MacBook Pro the other day and likely will purchase an iMac in the next few months - so, backup is an important consideration and Time Machine (TM) seems to be a great choice - so just curious about the statement in bold above - if the computer crashes and needs an OS restoration, what are the options of retrieving one's computer information from a TM backup? TIA - just trying to prepare myself - Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Many times you can boot into the recovery partition by pressing Command+R simultaneously to boot to the recovery partition. From there you can reload information from the Time Machine backup.

If the drive is so hosed that booting to the Recovery partition is impossible then the base OS would need to be installed then run the option to migrate data from a Time Machine backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you purchased a new machine it came pre-installed with Mountain Lion. By booting to the recovery partition (assuming the hard drive is operable) you can do a complete restore direct from the Time Machine backup drive.

However, the scenario you presented (hard drive crash) is a bit more involved. You would first have to install the operating system to the new hard drive and then recover your data from Time Machine. Which is why most of us also recommend making a cloned backup of your hard drive (which is bootable) using software such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. I personally use CCC because it also clones the recovery partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Guys for your prompt responses - I'm assuming that since I'll own a MacBook w/ SSD storage vs.a future iMac w/ a fusion drive (my present choice), is there a different paradigm regarding a backup policy? Again just trying to decide on my best BU options first for my current laptop and in a few months for a new iMac? Thanks again - :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.