Time Machine Router Access

Reaction score
NetBIOS name locating

I installed an Envisalink module in my alarm box that is plugged directly to my Apple Time machine router. The problem is I need to be able view the IP address of this module. It is connected and running but I must have the IP address in order to log into the module to make change. The directions say to type the word "envisalink" into your browser to log into it and key the default username and password. Much ilke logging into a Linksys router. The issue is with a Mac the browser only runs an internet search on the word. It will not go out and look for a NetBIOS name to see if it exist. How can I find the IP address of this module? If I use something like CMD or terminal, then I don't know a command to use with a Mac to locate this module that is running on my system. Any ideas? Commands?

OP
C
Reaction score
I use to have a Linksys router and could log in to view settings, etc. by keying the router IP address and then username and PW. Is it possible to do the same with the Time Capsule router? I have been unable to do so using an IP address. My Mac is running as WIFI and not hardwired to the router if that makes a difference.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure what you mean by Time Machine router.

Time Machine is a software application for creating backups in OS X.
Time Capsule is a piece of hardware sold by Apple that is a router/hard drive combo.

If you have a Time Capsule, it is accessed through Airport Utility - the same place you would have set up the wifi network on it - found in Applications / Utilities.
If you have some other router, then you would need to provide us the info on what router you have.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have a Time Capsule router. I wanted to be able to key in the ip address of the router and log into it like I use to do with my Linksys. Is there a way to do this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Access to the Time Capsule and it's settings is through the Airport Utility application.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have merged these 2 threads since this is what you are really after.

Is your internet access plugged directly into the Time Capsule or is the TC plugged into or using wifi to connect to the modem supplied by your ISP?

That is, is your TC providing the DHCP services and handing out IP addresses on your network or is the modem provided by your ISP providing the DHCP services on your local network?

The answer to the above will determine whether you should be looking in Airport Utility for the TC or looking at the settings of your ISPs modem/router - regardless of where the Envisalink is plugged in to.

OP
C
Reaction score
Is your internet access plugged directly into the Time Capsule or is the TC plugged into or using wifi to connect to the modem supplied by your ISP?

It is plugged into the Time Capsule. My internet does not require modem.

The company that sold me the module can only say follow the directions to log into the device, but it says key the device name in your browser or key the IP address to access it. They now have said to type ~$ nmblookup envisalink in the terminal window. This does not work either.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open Airport Utility - then depends what version you're using.

If version 5.6 you'll click on the Manual Setup button - then Internet tab - then DHCP.

With a higher version, click on the TC, then the Edit button in the window that opens - then the Network tab.

That's where you'll find the IP addresses it is handing out.

You should look around while you have Airport Utility open and see what sort of things are there available to you.

edit:
I do not and never have used my TC as the DHCP server, so if anyone else can add anything, go for it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks! That was it! I had to manually key the Mac address of the device and it then assigned the IP address. Then log into the IP address through my browser with user name and password. The alarm is now working and I can get text messages and arm/disarm using my iPhone. Get system. Eyezon.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.