Encrypting without new user creation?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if there would be a way to encrypt a macbook hard drive, but keep it in (or return it to) a new, "out of the box" state, with no users yet created. Would Filevault be able to do this? Is it possible with a third-party application?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't use FileVault unless you're logged into an account with Administrator privileges. However, it may be possible to boot the machine from an external hard drive and encrypt the internal main drive. But why would you need to do something like that?

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a thought. I'll try that.

Yea, it sounds a bit weird. The reason is that the people I work for provide new macbook airs for their new employees to use. They wanted to basically give them pre-encrypted computers, but still let them go through the first-time osx setup when they get the computer. Does that make sense?

C

chas_m

No. It makes no sense because there is nothing on the machine that needs encrypting yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.