upgrading from IOS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
My wife bought a new MacBook Pro and I have migrated all my stuff from my old Gateway.

Last night I tried to upgrade to Mountain Lion and it says I cannot. I have two questions. First can I upgrade to Lion (10.7.x). If so, where do I get it. THe App store online does not have it listed.

Second, if I can upgrade to Lion, can I then upgrade to Mountain Lion (10.8.x)?

In

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Is this a new MBP or new to you MBP? If a new one from Apple, it should already be running Mountain Lion (10.8.x). If the MBP is within a couple of years, it should be running Lion (10.7.x), it wouldn't be running Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

Either way, Lion is no longer available from the Mac App Store, only Mountain Lion is. As long as your MBP is within the past 3-4 years, you can upgrade to Mountain Lion no problem.

Please click on the Apple logo on the top left and choose About This Mac and tell us what it says..

OP
K
Reaction score
Lion OS

THis is a MacBook purchased in '07. When my wife bought a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, I took her old machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife bought a new MacBook Pro and I have migrated all my stuff from my old Gateway.

THis is a MacBook purchased in '07. When my wife bought a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, I took her old machine.

Clearly all the info in this situation was not correctly stated in post #1...since there was no mention of TWO Macintosh laptops.

Regardless...the '07 MacBook you mentioned in your 2nd post cannot run OS 10.8...due to it does not meet the hardware requirements. It can run OS 10.7 (Lion)...but it is no longer available from the Mac App Store when Apple released OS 10.8.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you Nick. Now I have to find out how to purchase a copy of Lion 10.7.x

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you Nick. Now I have to find out how to purchase a copy of Lion 10.7.x

As I mentioned Lion (OS 10.7) is no longer available for purchase from the Mac App Store. But...Apple did also sell Lion 10.7...on a USB stick. It's possible that some of these may be for sale on e-Bay. If so...you're in great shape!:)

Here's one auction for example:

Apple Mac OS x Lion V 10 7 USB Thumb Flash Drive A1384 Genuine | eBay

- Nick

p.s. FYI...for reference...Lion on USB stick originally sold for $69.99. This is just for reference. Since Lion is so hard to get/find...these potentially could sell for a lot higher.

C

chas_m

If I were you, I would just stick to 10.6.8 on that machine ... it's "old" in computer terms. Apple looks to be continuing support for 10.6.8 for a while yet ... at least another year I would say ... and it will be a while before you can't find apps/updates for 10.6.8, so it's probably the best match for that old machine.

In a couple three years, think about getting a new(er) model for yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.