Upgrade from snow leopard to lion on old MacBook.

Reaction score
So here is my dilemma, I have an old MacBook model A1181 running the old intel core duo with 2Ghz processor. This has worked fine for me for the past 8 years except for a few upgrades and fixes. Is there anyway to upgrade the OS to lion so I can use icloud and the App Store?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there anyway to upgrade the OS to lion so I can use icloud and the App Store?

Unfortunately probably not. Lion (OS 10.7) is no longer available for download from the Mac App Store. The only OS that is currently available is OS 10.8...and your MacBook does not meet the min. hardware specs for OS 10.8.

OS 10.7 Lion was also sold on a USB stick directly from Apple. You may want to check e-Bay to see if any are for sale.

- Nick

p.s. By the way...if you're already running Snow Leopard (as the thread title mentions)...then you already do (or can) have access to the Mac App Store. You need a minimum of OS 10.6.6 to access the Mac App Store.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, sorry but the latest version of OS X you can run on that machine is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Lion and Mountain Lion will not install. Maybe someone knows of a work around but according to Mactracker and Apple, OS X Snow Leopard is as far as you can go.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chscag is correct. Lion wants a Core2Duo CPU to run. There are ways around it but since the older CoreDuo Macbook only takes 2GB, I would recommend sticking with 10.6 Snow Leopard and like was said upgrade to 10.6.8. That will do the App Store at least.

2GB is the absolute minimum to run Lion and if you run more than a couple of things at a time will find yourself running out of RAM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Chscag is correct. Lion wants a Core2Duo CPU to run.

Ahh...I missed the "core duo" detail. I was focusing on the A1181 number (which covers a "slew" of different models).

@Trowski: Both chscag and dtravis7 are correct...with a core duo cpu...your MacBook is maxed out with OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate the quick responses. So I have another question then. I forgot to add that I did move to snow leopard a couple years ago. Over the past few years I have synced my iPhone 4 with the MacBook by just using the USB with little issue. I recently got a new ipad and have now run into an issue syncing the MacBook and ipad. Is there anyway to pull Icloud info on to my MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.