Which Mac to get for video editing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro
Hello,

I want to buy a mac for doing a lot of multi-media, photos, music and video editing with Final Cut.
I dont understand all the tec stuff and specifications so Im looking for someone that can help me make the best choice between macbook pro, Imac or mac G5...

Thank you for your time ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention what your budget was but here's my recommendation:

Stay away from a G5. Not only is it an older Mac system, it can only run Leopard as the latest version of OS X. Very limited.

So then your choice is between a MBP or iMac. Which would you rather have, a portable machine or desktop? The new iMacs or previous model make a nice working platform for doing video editing, or Final Cut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Do you need / want portability?
If yes: MBP... If you have the budget for it, rMBP

If no: iMac... If you have the budget for it, 27"

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro
You didn't mention what your budget was but here's my recommendation:

Stay away from a G5. Not only is it an older Mac system, it can only run Leopard as the latest version of OS X. Very limited.

So then your choice is between a MBP or iMac. Which would you rather have, a portable machine or desktop? The new iMacs or previous model make a nice working platform for doing video editing, or Final Cut.

I hope Im replying to this correctly, I see a Quote button and a reply and not sure which one to use.
Thank you!
I would like portable yet Im afraid that a portable will not have enough space or speed to render all of my digital info I dump onto it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hope Im replying to this correctly, I see a Quote button and a reply and not sure which one to use.
Thank you!
I would like portable yet Im afraid that a portable will not have enough space or speed to render all of my digital info I dump onto it.

Can you give us an idea of your budget?

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro
Oh yes, thank you...
I would like to stay within $2500 but if need be I will go higher. I was also wondering if maybe adding a good fast external hard drive would help me when I have a lot of video to upload and sort through.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh yes, thank you...
I would like to stay within $2500 but if need be I will go higher. I was also wondering if maybe adding a good fast external hard drive would help me when I have a lot of video to upload and sort through.

If you're REALLY serious regarding your video editing, etc...then a Mac Pro is the way to go.

Brand new...the least expensive Mac Pro is $2499. But it's only a quad-core model...and thus not that much better than a quad-core iMac (other than more internal storage options, multiple video cards, can have two optical drives, lots of ram upgrading, etc.). Here's a refurbished 8-core model for $2649:

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon - Apple Store (U.S.)

Apple is supposed to come out with a new Mac Pro model soon (this rumor has been around for quite a while). If a new Mac Pro model does come out...I'm sure it will be super expensive. So unless you're willing to SERIOUSLY increase your budget...there is no need to wait if you wanted a Mac Pro (get a refurbished 8-core model).

I know that you mentioned that portability would be nice...but you are concerned about performance. The graphics hardware in the iMacs is usually better than what is found in even the best MacBook Pro. So if you are serious about your graphics/video work...then an iMac would be better than a MacBook Pro for this type of work. Plus the 27" display on the iMacs is awesome! Lots of screen real-estate.:)

This is not to say that the quad-core MacBook Pro's are "slow-pokes"...just that a quad-core 27" iMac may be a bit better when it comes to graphics performance. If you're willing to compromise a little bit on graphics performance...then a MacBook Pro could be an option.:)

But if a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro is not for you...then getting one of the 27" iMac's would be the way to go (starting price about $1799)!:)

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro
Thank you for all the great info Nick!

I am going to check both out now.

:Cool:

Reaction score
Oh yes, thank you...

At 2500 I'd buy a refurb Mac Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.