iMac Sunflower G4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a very odd question here: I have the opportunity to purchase an old iMac G4 Sunflower. I have never owned a Mac computer, and understand that this one is outdated by 10 or so years. I obviously have other computers laying around, but this one is very interesting to me. Here are the specs : 700MHZ 512MB RAM 60GB HARD DRIVE W/CDRW/DVD PANTHER OSX 10.4

My question is, could I use this little computer to do some home music recording in 2013? Does anyone have any information about whether buying this machine in 2013 is a horribly stupid idea or if it will be a cool little toy? I'm VERY skeptical, but also can't get past having a dedicated machine for music recording.

Please let me know experiences/opinions and the like.

Much appreciated!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here are the specs : 700MHZ 512MB RAM 60GB HARD DRIVE W/CDRW/DVD PANTHER OSX 10.4

Small correction. If the OS on this computer is 10.4...10.4 is Tiger (not Panther).:)

My question is, could I use this little computer to do some home music recording in 2013? Does anyone have any information about whether buying this machine in 2013 is a horribly stupid idea or if it will be a cool little toy?

This computer could be used for what you mentioned. But in order to do it (and have the best experience)...you will need software that is "contemporary" to the computer...and compatible with OS 10.4.

So you would need to "source" the roughly 10 year-old software you would need to do music recording. As you might imagine...10 year-old software may not be easy to find...especially if the software titles you are looking for were a bit "obscure" 10 years ago.;) But you never know...check e-Bay.

As far as the stupid idea part. Certainly don't overpay for the computer itself. They're not worth a whole lot.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick. The machine is going for $80. Sound like a rip off to you? I understand the issue that finding old software could pose...

Does garageband come loaded on these old machines or was that somethin that Apple did in later years? I imagine that would probably handle most of what i'm looking to get into (simple bedroom recording... maybe a bass and a guitar)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, Nick. The machine is going for $80. Sound like a rip off to you?

$80 doesn't sound too bad. Be aware...700mhz is the slowest iMac G4. They ranged from 700mhz to 1.25ghz.

Does garageband come loaded on these old machines or was that somethin that Apple did in later years?

Hard to say. The OS and any other applications could have been installed & uninstalled multiple times in the last 10 years by previous owners. The best thing to do is ask the seller if Garageband is installed. If not...you would have to find an old version of iLife.

Also be aware (since music is what you want to do with this computer)...that iMac G4's came with the a special set of speakers (see photo below). And these speakers have a somewhat special plug. So if this iMac G4 does not come with these speakers...a "standard" set of external computer speakers may not work (thus no sound).

images

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. By the way...why do you call this computer a "SunFlower" iMac G4? I'm only asking since...iMac G4's are typically called "lampshade"...not SunFlower. Just curious...maybe I'm missing something.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.