Microsoft Office Professional Edition

Reaction score
Ok well I am buying a Mac and were considering buying Microsoft Office because we have been using it for the longest time

Well it comes with word, powertpoint, excel, outlook and this last application here's the description ...

Office 2004 for Mac Professional Edition is the only Office for Mac suite that includes Virtual PC 7 with Windows XP Professional. Virtual PC gives you access to Windows-only files, programs and networks right from your Mac desktop.

So what does this do, will I be able to run programs that are not mac compatible, like games or what? Will any program work or only certain ones? Is it worth it for the extra 100$

Ok well I just read some review and a Intel processor user said this program Virtual PC 7 does not work on the new Macs with intel chips is this true?

Is the Student and Teacher Version any different from say the Office 2004 - standard addition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
tk26 said:
So what does this do, will I be able to run programs that are not mac compatible
Yes, you will.
, like games or what?
No. The graphics will not be supported under emulation of Virtual PC

Is it worth it for the extra 100$
My personal opinion?... No. If you really need to use a Windows program, then just keep a Windows PC around for that.

Ok well I just read some review and a Intel processor user said this program Virtual PC 7 does not work on the new Macs with intel chips is this true?
Currently, yes this is true.

Is the Student and Teacher Version any different from say the Office 2004 - standard addition?
No, not really. Office is Office is Office is Office.

OP
T
Reaction score
ok i thought that it was the same are the just releasing the version for the discount to students and teachers, now will this version have the same buttons on the bottom display area of the screen, does anyone know if theres any difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM
only the discount should be the difference. There should not be a difference with the layout. As the other poster said Office is Office is Office. I myself got the Office with Virtual PC. I have one program that I have to run from work that I use it for, that is not graphic intensive and is very basic. It is not worth it for me to have two computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The apps included in the student&teacher version are IDENTICAL in every way to the standard edition.

The only differences are: Price & Licensing: You get 3 licenses for quite a lot less than 1 standard license. But you are only allowed to use it for non-commercial purposes.

Reaction score
Virtual PC is almost worthless, in my opinion. Definantly not worth the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
I agree, for me Virtual PC could run almost none of the apps that I tried to run(none of them very important) and it also used up a large chunk of my hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.