[Update Needed] as boot login-pass area??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I don't recall setting a boot password requirement but I don't even know what this is really. I am seeing a login screen prior to my actual user login screen. It has 2 users, one is called "[Update Needed]" and the other is Guest (don't recall what it was). The user that is named [Update Needed] has a user icon of the generic man head/shoulders but with a question mark overlayed on it. It takes my normal password that I use for my user login. My questions are:

1. How do I get rid of this weird login screen?
2. Why is the "user" named [Update Needed]?
3. Do I need to update something to get rid of that screen?

I had just freshly installed Mountain Lion via thumb drive and this started showing up after install. How can I fix this?

I can't find any info on this issue on google, but perhaps I don't know the correct terms to search for. I tried searching for "os x boot login update needed" and I found nothing relating to to the issue. Help, please!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you using FileVault? If so, follow the instructions here.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Are you using FileVault? If so, follow the instructions here.

Ah yes. Thanks :) I decided to turn FileVault off. I don't need it. So it's decrypting right now. I rarely take my mac outside of my home so, eh, I don't "need" it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.