Reinstall OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009 16 GB memory, High Sierra 10.13.6 500gb ssd, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi all,
Short history. SBBOD had made my macbook unusable. Took it to the local genius bar, they did a check for errors, found some bad files and it was repaired with their disk utility. Their suggestion was if the SBBOD continues I should reload the OS X. OK the disk fix didn't work.
So the question is which OS x CD should I load? My macbook (2007) came with 10.4.9, I'm up to 10.6.8. Do I start with 10.4 and load 10.6 on top as I have progressed over the years or start the reinstall with my 10.6 disk?
I'm just a user, have not done any thing like this before.
Yes I have backed up everything, twice.
Thanks,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
You can do a fresh install with your Snow Leopard disc, no need to go through the upgrade process from 10.4.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's no point in reloading everything back from Tiger. Just reinstall with your Snow Leopard DVD. And the next time you get a kernel panic, copy the KP log and post it here for us to look at. Maybe we can determine what's causing it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009 16 GB memory, High Sierra 10.13.6 500gb ssd, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Thanks for the answer.
I'll have a busy day tomorrow.

C

chas_m

Did the OP say anything about KPs in their original message? There's no reference to it now, just the Spinning BeachBall of Death :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did the OP say anything about KPs in their original message? There's no reference to it now, just the Spinning BeachBall of Death :)

If you mean a "blue screen of death", then no have not had that happen.
The sbbod always happens while in safari.
It generally happens when I click on a link in hotmail message. I'm a news junky and get lots of news email with links.

ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.