Imac Blu ray drive

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Mac'rs,

I have a 2010 Aluminum Imac desktop 24" with an optical drive.

I was looking to upgrade my optical drive to a blu ray drive and I dont fancy having an external drive lying about.

Do you know of any blu ray drive that would fit into a mac and is an easy swop over?

I have already opened my mac before to put in a 3TB hard drive.

Also, it would have to be a UK drive as I am in the UK.

Regards,

G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,

The way I understand it is that OSX will not support Blu-Ray so you need an external player and some other app to play it. I've seen images of people that have put blu ray drives into iMacs and it all seems a bit convoluted and half-way house to be honest.

I think Apple is driving us towards the digital 1080p download from iTunes end of. It's still outputting only DD 5.1 though (just too much information to carry for DTS Master Audio etc) so my BD's just sit on the shelf until I want to view one on my AV system.

I now download 1080p versions of movies from iTunes but still need to upgrade to ATV3 to get the benefit. Otherwise it plays the default 720p and my system upscales it just fine.

Blu-ray is good no doubt about it but with just 2 down firing speakers on an iMac then it's not much of an experience.

I think Steve Jobs once referred to Blu-Ray as a "bag of hurt".

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Slot loaders are going to run about double the price of an external unit.
If you're going to get one, I'd probably stick with one of the drives OWC is selling - whether you buy from them or not.

I'd also suggest you read up at iFixit about how to replace the drive in an iMac - before you order an internal drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.