HELP! Safari not playing videos

Reaction score
When I first got my rMBP I had downloaded Google Chrome and was using it exclusively, because that's what I was used to. I recently decided to start using Safari and fell completely in love with it. Only one problem...... IT WON'T PLAY ANY FLASH CONTENT!

I downloaded Adobe Flash Player when I first got the machine, and videos work great in Chrome. When I switched to Safari, and it wouldn't play videos, I figured I would uninstall and re-download Adobe using Safari. Didn't work!!!

Any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First Chrome has it's own Flash player. What happens in Safari when you say open a You Tube video? What is the error? No Flash? If that is the case the Flash Plug in is NOT installed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you have Safari closed when installing Flash? If not the Plug in will not install.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes absolutely. Here's the thing. Chrome will be closed and Safari will be open. After the installation is complete, the confirmation window opens that says "Your Installation Was Successful", but it opens in CHROME! Not Safari.

I've installed and uninstalled and restarted, then rinse and repeat so many times. I have no idea.

OP
M
Reaction score
As I was typing that, it occurred to me that Safari wasn't set up as my default browser. Duh! Thanks for listening to me! Haha

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that might do it for you. If not let us know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I think also mac disables Flash (I know it was an update on Snow Leopard) so you should check that and hopefully someone will know what to do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lion was the first version of OSX not to ship with Flash installed. Snow Leopard had Flash and Rosetta also. It's a simple matter to download and install Flash if you need it. It's not disabled as such, just not included in the install.

Reaction score
Mac Won't Play Videos

Easy fix. Run Disk Utility/Verify Disk Permissions/Repair Disk Permissions/Reboot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.