Help picking out new iMac

Reaction score
I've decided to get an iMac, but I can't figure out which upgrades are worth paying for, and which I'll be wasting my money on.

This will be my first iMac, but I spend a lot of time on the computer. For the most part, browsing, email, watching Netflix, downloading. No gaming. Once in awhile I use word, sometimes, Publisher. Right now I have an HP Pavillion laptop that's probably 4ish years old, and ridiculously slow. I need something with decent memory as I have a pretty large movie/music/photo collection. My movies can stay on a external hard drive but I'd prefer to have enough room for my music and photos on the built in hard drive. I want something fast where it's not going to take me 5 minutes to transfer a movie file.

I don't really have a set budget, but I don't want to go all out and get every single option either. I'm leaning towards the 27", but other than that I don't know what upgrades will make a noticeable difference and be worth the $$.

Opinions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From what you stated above, the entry level 27" iMac should be sufficient. It comes with a 1 TB hard drive and 8 GB of system memory (which you can upgrade yourself later on) and 512 MB of graphics memory. Price is $1799.00 less tax.

Once in awhile I use word, sometimes, Publisher.

Take note that while Mac Office 2011 is available, Microsoft does not have a version of Publisher for the Mac. You'll need to find an alternative program.

OP
S
Reaction score
So would it be worth it if I just get the entry level $1799 model, to order another pair of 8 GB of RAM (16 GB total) from Crucial? Will that give me noticeably more speed for $140?

(Sorry, I'm really technically challenged when it comes to computers so I really don't understand what's necessary and what's not when it comes to upgrades!)

Thanks for your help! I just don't want to be kicking myself a year from now wishing I would've paid the extra for a better computer as I'd like this one to last awhile!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So would it be worth it if I just get the entry level $1799 model, to order another pair of 8 GB of RAM from Crucial? Will that give me noticeably more speed for $140?

More ram does not always necessarily equal more speed. After a certain point (depending on how someone uses their computer)...more ram does not equal better speed/performance. What if you had 16gig of ram...32 gig of ram...64gig of ram??? After a certain point...more ram does not equal more speed.

Thanks for your help! I just don't want to be kicking myself a year from now wishing I would've paid the extra for a better computer as I'd like this one to last awhile!

Any of use would love to be able to purchase the best/fastest computer possible at purchase time. But what it really comes down to is our computer purchase budget...and the "bang for your buck" return on your investment.

The basic rule to follow is...at purchase time...buy as much computer as you can reasonably afford.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, so you're saying just the 8 GB of RAM would be good enough? I can see what you're saying, I just don't know at what point more isn't better, kwim? In your opinion, is it worth $140 to have 24 GB of RAM vs 8 GB?

This is where I'm running into trouble, technically there's no budget for this computer. But just because I can buy a $3000 computer, doesn't mean I want to if it's not needed for what I plan on using it for.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, so you're saying just the 8 GB of RAM would be good enough? I can see what you're saying, I just don't know at what point more isn't better, kwim? In your opinion, is it worth $140 to have 24 GB of RAM vs 8 GB?

For the tasks that you mentioned earlier...8gig for now would be fine. Many folks do fine with 4gig. The MacBook I'm using at the moment has 4gig of ram...and everything is fine.:)

If you're getting a 27" iMac...the ram can be upgraded later (at anytime). If you're getting a 21.5" iMac...the ram is not upgradable after purchase...so you have to buy all the ram you will ever need at time of purchase.

By the way...you shouldn't be buying a $3000 computer. At least here in the United States...the entry level 27" iMac is $1799.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Good to know, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be regretting not getting a better processor, more RAM, larger hard drive, etc. All that stuff can add up fast!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be regretting not getting a better processor, more RAM, larger hard drive, etc. All that stuff can add up fast!

Whether you get a 21.5" or 27" iMac...you want to get as much storage (hard disk drive) as possible/as much as you think that you will need...or as you can afford.

All new iMac models are very difficult to access the insides for to do a hard drive upgrade yourself...and it would probably be an expensive upgrade if you had to have Apple do it later on.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
To the OP: is there any reason the 21.5" maxed out RAM (16GB) and processor (3.1GHz quad-core i7) with stock 1TB hard drive isn't enough? Basically it's going to be a really fast computer with a gorgeous display. Do you have a specific need for the 27" display? I have the 21.5" and even at about 2 feet away, I find myself backing away from it sometimes. I can't imagine that big honking 27" display on my desk. It just seems to me, the 27" is overkill in your situation. You'd be surprised at how well the maxed out 21.5" will perform. Unless you just really want that larger display and have enough room to sit a good distance back away from the screen.

Those are my thoughts/input on the situation anyways...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest not going the 21.5" route. These new models come with a 2.5" hard drive whereas the 27" and previous models all came with the 3.5"drive. Smaller drives may not last as long.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Adding to what Harry mentioned about the hard drive.... The 27" model comes with a 7200 RPM drive whereas the 21.5" model uses a slower 5400 RPM drive and yes, it's a notebook drive - 2.5". All to save space. If you can afford the 27" model, go for it. If not, the 21.5" will perform nicely but keep in mind that the system memory is not upgradeable.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've got my Mac!!!!!!

I have to say a huge thank you for your help, I would've spent a lot more money for something that was overkill for what I need it for if it wasn't for you guys. I ended up getting the 27" 3.2 GHz i5 with 1 TB hard drive and 8 GB RAM from Best Buy. Just didn't have the patience to special order one! So far I absolutely LOVE it. I got all my files transferred off my PC, have downloaded utorrent and Calibre, set up my email, set up my printer wirelessly and found all my favorite webpages again. Ready to wipe the old PC clean. I was surprised at how simple it was to transfer everything over!

Definitely a learning curve though for a first time mac user, but I'm getting the hang of it!

Oh, and the reason I went with the 27" screen is I can upgrade the RAM myself if I decide 8 isn't enough, and I also watch a lot of TV on my computer so the size is definitely appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and the reason I went with the 27" screen is I can upgrade the RAM myself if I decide 8 isn't enough, and I also watch a lot of TV on my computer so the size is definitely appreciated!

Good decision. Now don't forget to purchase Apple care before your ninety days of free telephone support are up. (Your warranty is for one year, however.)

If you need a referral to discounted Apple care, let me know and I'll respond with the link.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got my Mac!!!!!!

I ended up getting the 27" 3.2 GHz i5 with 1 TB hard drive and 8 GB RAM from Best Buy. So far I absolutely LOVE it.

Wow...that was fast...congratulations!!!:)

Oh, and the reason I went with the 27" screen is I can upgrade the RAM myself if I decide 8 isn't enough...

I think that you will be fine with 8gig of ram for a while.:) Next upgrade might be 16gig (32gig is max.). But I think that unless you start using applications that need/can utilize lots of ram...you will be fine for a while!:)

I'm sure that you LOVE that 27" display...VERY awesome!:):)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Good decision. Now don't forget to purchase Apple care before your ninety days of free telephone support are up. (Your warranty is for one year, however.)

If you need a referral to discounted Apple care, let me know and I'll respond with the link.

I'll definitely be adding Apple Care, and I'd love a link if there's some way I can get a discount! Thanks!

Wow...that was fast...congratulations!!!:)

I think that you will be fine with 8gig of ram for a while.:) Next upgrade might be 16gig (32gig is max.). But I think that unless you start using applications that need/can utilize lots of ram...you will be fine for a while!:)

I'm sure that you LOVE that 27" display...VERY awesome!:):)

- Nick

Thanks for your help in deciding, I agree that for now it seems plenty fast enough for me! Especially compared to my old laptop. This display is amazing, I'm definitely a mac convert for good!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I agree that for now it seems plenty fast enough for me!

That's what's important. A brand new computer should seem fast!:)

As far as the Applecare link. I seem to remember folks saying that Applecare purchased thru B&H Photo was a good deal. B&H Photo charges $122 for the extended Applecare for an iMac...Apple charges $169.

B&H Photo Link ($122):

Apple AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac MD006LL/A B&H Photo

Apple Link ($169):

AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&H Photo Link ($122):

Apple AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac MD006LL/A B&H Photo

+1 for B&H. They're an authorized Apple Dealer located in NYC. I buy all my Apple Care from them. They also sell cameras that I can't afford. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1 for B&H. They're an authorized Apple Dealer located in NYC. I buy all my Apple Care from them.

Charlie...I think that you're the person that I'm thinking of who always mentions B&H as the place to purchase Extended Applecare!:)

Seems really strange how Apple allows them to sell it for so much less.:Confused: Especially when it's Apple who's responsible for the warranty claims & repair costs.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&H is big. They're one of the largest distributors of Apple products and all sorts of really expensive camera in New York. They're probably selling Apple Care with a razor thin margin of profit. But I can assure you they make it up on all the other stuff they sell. Go to their site sometime and look around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.