Unable to burn to CD because of medium write error?

Reaction score
My Mini is older model Snow Leopard use to burned ITunes playlist to discs without problems now it quits before the burn is complete leaving the message "burn could not be complete because of a "Medium Write Error". The disc doesn't mount on the desk top. Some say this is caused by dirt or dust on the optical drive and to blow it out with canned electronic cleaning air. I'm not ready to try that nor will I ever be even if I could find it. I'm looking for an easier solution but maybe it is time for trip to the shop

Model Name: Mac Mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Serial Number (system): YM9464E19G5
Mac OS X version10.6.8[/U]

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The canned air is readily available at many big box retailers or electronics shops. it's really not difficult to blow it out. If you're uncomfortable with that have you given thought to using an external drive.

C

chas_m

1. Buy can of compressed air.
2. Stick (included) straw on nozzle
3. Blow a SMALL amount (3-4 short blasts) of air into slot
4. Test to see if that fixed the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
5> Try a disc based lens cleaner
6> Buy an external burner. They can be bought for around £25 these days. Much cheaper option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Many times in the past I received the same "burn could not be complete because of a "Medium Write Error".
Try a different disc to burn to. That is probably my #1 and only gripe about a Mac and it's superdrive being so finicky about which type of discs it will accept.
I'm sitting here looking at a stack of CD & DVDs R and RW discs that will not work on my '07 MBP and my friends '12 MBP... Sony, Imitation, Fuji Film, JVC. We finally had purchase a lesser known brand called "Pengo" DVDs and it worked with no problems.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think some of the problems you mentioned with different brands could be changes to the media as well. I have had each of those brands work well for me at one time or anther and not work at other times.

Reducing burn speeds may help a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Try this for future reference. It worked for me on my '07 MBP with OS 10.6.8...
*** Just a heads up first, you will have to redo your Finder preferences after completing this. ***
Delete the following preference files located in Users/username/Library/Preferences:

com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist
com.apple.finder.plist
com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Reboot and verify discs can be used on your Mac.

Before this fix I could only use Pengo discs and all others whould get spit right out of my MBP superdrive. After the fix, now all of my discs (generic blank discs, Phillips, Verbatim, Memorex, JVC, Imitation) work now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.