MacBook Keyboard Loose

Reaction score
Hello there,
I recently purchased a non-working white 13" MacBook (Model# A1181) off of eBay. I purchased everything I needed to repair it, including a new keyboard. The keyboard works properly and fits, but it does not stay in place. Whenever I open the laptop, the keyboard comes up because of the magnets in it and in the screen. Since some of the screws on the computer are missing, including the ones on the sides, bottom and inside the battery compartment, I assumed that was the problem. I just wanted to verify that's why the keyboard won't stay in place before I buy a full set of screws.

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What you purchased is called the "topcase" (keyboard, trackpad, speakers, power button, palm rest area). If you look around the edge of the topcase...you will see holes for screws.

The area below the trackpad contains a magnet that works in conjunction with the display lid to keep everything closed (when you want the display closed). Because the display lid & topcase are held together with magnetism...it is natural for the topcase to lift when the display lid is opened (since there are no screws...or not all the screws are in place) to keep the topcase from lifting.

So yes...you need the screws to keep the topcase from lifting up whenever you open the display.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help

Unfortunately I can only buy a full set of screws while I only need the bottom case screws and the battery compartment screws… oh well I guess it's not a huge deal

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unfortunately I can only buy a full set of screws while I only need the bottom case screws and the battery compartment screws… oh well I guess it's not a huge deal

Go to Amazon.com...and do a search for "MacBook Screws". I've done this...and there are various screw sets that folks sell that are partial sets (not full sets). Maybe the topcase screws you need are sold separately...and maybe you can save a few bucks.

- Nick

p.s. Don't do a search for "MacBook topcase screws". I did this and it didn't return anything useful
p.p.s. You could also do the same search on e-Bay. If neither search turns up anything...maybe you will have to buy the whole screw set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.