Resetting a MacBook Pro to factor settings and restoring it from Time Machine?

Reaction score
I've had battery problems with my MacBook for a while now. I posted on here and was advised to restore my macbook. Which i haven't had time to do until now.

It's the Macbook pro mid-2012 edition. Now my 1st question is;

1. How do I factory reset it? Are there any thing I need to do prior to resetting it?

2. I don't want to restore my whole time machine because the purpose of doing this is that I think maybe one of the third party apps I have is causing the battery problems (maybe). I want to put back some apps - adobe CS6, adobe premier element's, iwork and microsoft office. Can I restore not all of my programs, just some? (The one's I mentioned) - is there a way to do this?

3. Now question 3 is do I need to re-enter the serials for the named apps?

4. Also my mac didn't come with a disk so I don't have the update to mountain lion because apple have changed to the app store. So from the app store can I just update it there? I don't need to update anything with a CD, just through the mac app store?

Thank's so much - please reply ASAP as I want to do this ASAP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure why you would want to restore your MBP to factory settings because of battery problems? What kind of battery problems are you having?

Your machine is easy enough to restore even without an install disk since it has a recovery partition. But first it would be better to try and isolate what could be causing the battery problems rather than restore the operating system and do a selective recovery from Time Machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would want to restore your MBP to factory settings because of battery problems? What kind of battery problems are you having?

Your machine is easy enough to restore even without an install disk since it has a recovery partition. But first it would be better to try and isolate what could be causing the battery problems rather than restore the operating system and do a selective recovery from Time Machine.

Hi, thanks for replying. I am going to link you to my other thread started on another website - it has all my issues etc. in there - if you want to have a look, thanks.

Terrible MacBook battery - MacRumors Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is a mid-2012 back to Apple under the 12 month warranty.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just read through that entire thread you linked to. I have to agree with your assessment that something's either wrong with the battery itself or the logic that controls the battery usage. You should be getting much better battery performance; probably not the theoretical 7 hours that Apple contends, but at least 4 or 5 hours according to your usage.

Take it on back to Apple or an authorized Apple service center and if necessary speak to a supervisor if they refuse to make the necessary repairs. As was mentioned in the Rumors thread, Apple performs a diagnostic on the battery, however, there is logic that also is involved. By that I'm referring to what controls the charge - discharge and consumption. We have had members who have had their logic board changed out because the controlling logic was not working right.

Let us know how it turns out at Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.