Is backing up just the library (iPhoto, Aperture, Devonthink, etc.) good enough?

Reaction score
This is just a bit of paranoia that I have. I like the "library" approach that many OSX apps take, such as iPhoto, Aperture, and Devonthink for examples. I now have thousands of irreplaceable photos and documents stored in those libraries. I keep a Time Machine backup of them and also back them up to CrashPlan online. Therefore, I SHOULD be really safe, right? But what if the "disaster" is not a drive failure or a fire or a flood? What if the library just goes corrupt and won't open? What if I don't realize it until I've actually backed up the corruption?

Should I be exporting everything from these libraries and backing up the individual files, as well, or do you figure I will always be able to put back some backup version of the library file and it will open without problems? It would be a horrendous pain to have to back them up individually, too, but would be a necessity if the library file was corrupt and wouldn't open. Just interested in others thoughts on this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.