Doubly ticked off about my iMac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a note, We do not allow any talk of Hackintosh here on Mac Forums. It's totally against the Community Guidelines here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
Sorry. I won't do it again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
"You must use the iCloud now, because we've made your iPhone incompatible with direct desktop syncing some apps unless you do it our way" sayeth Apple.
That's a tad simplistic. Apple doesn't push any online product any harder than any other company including Google (and their services) or Microsoft (Windows Live).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That's a tad simplistic. Apple doesn't push any online product any harder than any other company including Google (and their services) or Microsoft (Windows Live).

Agreed. I get asked if I want ICloud, Documents, ETC. ICloud is not the only choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
That's a tad simplistic

That isn't simplistic. We used to use Notes to distribute assignments to iPhones. We work in a secure environment and using third party network distribution is verboten. The only way Notes can be used in Mountain Lion is to use iCloud or set up an imap server. The latter clearly isn't forcing you to use iCloud, but I'd say considering modifying an entire network configuration to accommodate one software product that used to talk directly to an iPhone via direct connection to hardware to me implies you should use iCloud.

Notes is now useless to us on iPhones. What's the logic behind taking something that was a piece of cake to use and turning it into something the must use a network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
x2

Looking to get a desktop but the new iMac simply has a 'cheap' feel to it.

As the owner of 2 iMacs (Mid 2010 and late 2012) I completely disagree with that assessment. Nether of the models I own feels "cheap" in the least. The newer model weights considerably less than the older model but the fit, finish and feel of the product is just as good and in some ways better than the older one.

As for the HDDs, haven't had a failure on either of mine or my wife's yet, but all have Apple Care warranties to cover them. After that, I'm willing to take my chances. I've been pretty lucky with HDDs in Macs and have only had a few failures over the years.

I have a mid 2011 iMac. I started getting signs of problems with it so I bought a copy of Scannerz (Scannerz) to test it and the drive's failing.

Frankly, this sounds like sour grapes at this point. All of the info about accessibility and maintenance of the iMacs (now or old) has been on-line for some time. You should have done some homework before you spent your hard earned cash on a product that didn't meet your "standards". Try thinking before purchasing next time, the only one to blame here is you.

C

chas_m

Projection is a psychological term in which people assign blame to other entities when in fact their problems were caused by their own actions. It is very common.

This and other interesting facts can be found on Wikipedia. Have a great day!

Reaction score
This is precisely why I don't recommend the iMac, period.

HDDs fail, some prematurely. Apple also frequently uses less reliable brands of HDDs. And finally, they're difficult to replace and are now using proprietary parts. All of this adds up to an exercise in customer frustration that is simply unnecessary.

There is little price differential between Mac Pro and 27" iMac. If your looking at a 21" I'd say go for the Mini the flexibility in displays counter balances the lack of discrete graphics.

Reaction score
First Apple doesn't make the HDD. Secondly HDDs are prone to failure. Not pointing fingers at anyone but your own fault if you don't have a backup of your important files.

He is not complaining about his lost info he pissed off because apple make everything such a money grabbing exercise to a point where he cant even put a new HD in his machine (how hard can it be u take out the old one plug in a plug or two and put it back in) I agree its a global con buy apple compared to a pc where u can fix anything and parts are readily available u have to wonder what the benefit of owing a mac is these days only one I can think of is less virus correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
He is not complaining about his lost info he pissed off because apple make everything such a money grabbing exercise to a point where he cant even put a new HD in his machine (how hard can it be u take out the old one plug in a plug or two and put it back in) I agree its a global con buy apple compared to a pc where u can fix anything and parts are readily available u have to wonder what the benefit of owing a mac is these days only one I can think of is less virus correct me if I am wrong.

Um...Ok....no one is forcing you or anyone else to buy a Mac. Feel free to go buy that wonderful PC that you can just magically fix. I mean, if you can't figure out why you want to own a Mac then why bother spending your hard earned money on one?

On a side note, one has to wonder what the OP did to get banned after only 3 posts. I know the staff won't share but 3 posts has to be some sort of a record. I wonder if the poster immediately above this post will get banned for being a blatant troll, or just the OP with another username....

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Wow I had not noticed that. Got to be a record.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info regarding the recall by Apple.

That's the sense you got from internet 'chatter' about iMac. Too many complaints.

This iMac recall is a step in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Actually the recall has been around for years thanks to Seagate's faulty drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Honestly in a way, i believe if you can't afford to fix a product, or have it fixed if its out of warranty,then you shouldn't be getting this product in the first place. How often do people go in and ask a Apple Store person how much will it cost to fix once warranty has run out ?? Hardly ever. But i have heard of and know people that buy cars on the Servicing Schedule and the price of said Servicing.
And i myself have gone to dealerships and asked, how much will the initial service cost and then the other services cost when I'm looking at buying a car. If they are too much, or out of my budget, i have bought a lesser car, solely on that reasoning. Granted i have had a list of cars, most wanted to least wanted, i started at the top, and was lucky enough, that the 2nd car i wanted was in my price range and the servicing was well priced too.
I can't understand why people don't look into this more and then either buy Extended Warranty or run the gauntlet . . .

So i don't see Apple as a global con, as you call it. I see that they make a superior product, with better hardware than other PC makers, hence Apple charging more for the "Fix". Its not a money grabbing exercise, even though i think some of there charges are excessive, so when it comes down to the bottom line, they are a business and there to make money. When its all broken down, i saw on a friends Apple Repaired Mac that 60% of the price came down to Labour so that says something.

Bottom line. If you can't afford to get your Mac fixed, buy something you can afford to get fixed when needed. I own Macs and can and will afford anything i need to get fixed, Touch Wood lol

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Honestly in a way, i believe if you can't afford to fix a product, or have it fixed if its out of warranty,then you shouldn't be getting this product in the first place. How often do people go in and ask a Apple Store person how much will it cost to fix once warranty has run out ?? Hardly ever. But i have heard of and know people that buy cars on the Servicing Schedule and the price of said Servicing.
And i myself have gone to dealerships and asked, how much will the initial service cost and then the other services cost when I'm looking at buying a car. If they are too much, or out of my budget, i have bought a lesser car, solely on that reasoning. Granted i have had a list of cars, most wanted to least wanted, i started at the top, and was lucky enough, that the 2nd car i wanted was in my price range and the servicing was well priced too.
I can't understand why people don't look into this more and then either buy Extended Warranty or run the gauntlet . . .

So i don't see Apple as a global con, as you call it. I see that they make a superior product, with better hardware than other PC makers, hence Apple charging more for the "Fix". Its not a money grabbing exercise, even though i think some of there charges are excessive, so when it comes down to the bottom line, they are a business and there to make money. When its all broken down, i saw on a friends Apple Repaired Mac that 60% of the price came down to Labour so that says something.

Bottom line. If you can't afford to get your Mac fixed, buy something you can afford to get fixed when needed. I own Macs and can and will afford anything i need to get fixed, Touch Wood lol

That is why I refuse to buy a German car. >_>" Had one previously and it cost an arm and leg to get things fixed. I'm kind of glad I got rid of it. Except nearly lost my own life in the process but I'll leave that story for another time. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.