itunes loses songs

Reaction score
Every time I sync my ipod, itunes flags up 5 or 6 songs that it apparently cannot locate.

I automatically have itunes copy all new songs to its folder (consolidate), and usually the songs lost are old/not-very-listened to ones (i have about 100GB of music on there). A couple of times it has been the same ones.

So, I type the name into spotlight and immediately find the file, re-add it to itunes and delete the old "cannot be found" link. Every time this happens, the file turns out to be in the correct itunes folder (artist>album>song) though.

This is no real stress, takes a couple of minutes, but I don't understand why. And how can I stop this happening? I don't think I should have to maintain my music collection, surely once a file is copied into the right place (by itunes itself) it should remember it, shouldn't it?

I should add that I don't use any other software that might move or rename files, or an external hard drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible that some of the songs may have become corrupt. I have had the same thing happen to me on several occasions. When that happens iTunes will say it can't locate the song. I've even had the same thing happen with the recordings that we make and place in iTunes so we can sync them to iPods.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.