Hard Drive Question

Reaction score
I'm kind of new to DIY upgrades. I switched out my 160gb hard drive on my macbook pro with a 512gb ssd recently. When I transferred the files from my old macbook, I checked the size of the hard drive and I took a look at the breakdown of how much music and video and total space used. It said it had 350gb of "other" items on my hard drive. I've done a search of the hard drive to see exactly what's on it that could take up 350gb of space, but I'm coming up short. SSD was only filled with what was on the 160gb hd before the file transfer. Any ideas as to what the "other" items may be or any way I could find out or clean it up?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How did you upgrade from an 160gig HD to a 512gig SSD recently...and have now discovered 350gig of "Other". 350gig exceeds the max. capacity of the old HD by more than 2x??:Confused:

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Whatever it is came from the external hard drive from my old macbook. The strange thing is that much "other" stuff didn't show up on my old macbook. I cloned the 160gb (which had about 100gb on it) to the 512gb and then added from the external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest erasing the SSD and doing a clean install and migrate things over. Platter drives do not clone well to SSDd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.