Recommendation: 8GB or 16GB RAM upgrade

Reaction score
Eustis Florida (50 miles north of Orlando)
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz/4GB/750GB WD HDD
I have a early 2011 MBP 13" 2.3 Ghz with 4GB of RAM. I currently have a WD Scorpio 750GB hard drive.

I will be starting to use Lightroom on this MBP and I am planning on some upgrades. The plan is to go to a Crucial 256GB SSD and either 8GB of RAM or 16GB. I found a Crucial 8GB kit on amazon for like $75, but I also saw a 16GB kit for $105.

I figure that an extra $30 or so would be worth it for doubling the RAM, but I'm not sure if it is something that will make a considerable difference. I want to know if it would be a noticeable difference between having 8GB and 16GB of RAM while using Lightroom as well as everyday web browsing and such.

If anyone has any input on either upgrade please feel free to let me know. I just want to get the best results for the upgrades I'm making.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The plan is to go to a Crucial 256GB SSD and either 8GB of RAM or 16GB. I found a Crucial 8GB kit on amazon for like $75, but I also saw a 16GB kit for $105.

I figure that an extra $30 or so would be worth it for doubling the RAM, but I'm not sure if it is something that will make a considerable difference.

Like you basically said...$30 bucks extra for 16gig is a "no-brainer". Just go for it...and don't sweat the details!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.