Strange Issue with all browsers - drop down menu displays incorrectly only on my mac

Reaction score
When i go to my company's website and hover over any of the drop down menus in the horizontal navigation, the menu displays incorrectly. It does this in all browsers I've tried, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. This only happens on my mac. I've tested it on several other computers. Any ideas? This is what it looks like in all of my browsers:
dropdown-menu.png

Visit the site yourself and try it and you will see that all the images and text align the way they should. Could it be that I need a javascript update? I'm at a loss.

Please help.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

Looks fine here:

Hohner-test.jpg

I'm on a 2009 MBP with the latest Safari and Mountain Lion. You didn't mention what system you're running etc.

Reaction score
Looks fine to me too in Firefox. Try clearing your caches or option-clicking the refresh button.

OP
B
Reaction score
RE: Looks fine

I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.5. I cleared my cache multiple times and have restarted before I came to this forum for assistance. Like I said, it's happening to me in Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I even reinstalled Firefox to no avail.

My only consolation is that it's not broken for the rest of the world, but If that were the case I could have easily fixed it. This, I'm hypothesizing has something to do with my system. The only thing new I've installed recently is a printer driver.

Thanks for your replies.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Tried it on 3 different Macs here - 13" MB, 13" MBA and 15" MBP.
All are fine - 2 running 10.7 and one running 10.8.

What resolution is your screen set at?
However, changing to various lower resolutions here did not provide the same affect you're seeing.

Do you have anything in Universal Access turned on?

Have you changed the minimum font size of your browsers?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It won't be font size in the browser settings - I just tried it and the arrangement was fine. And, I may be wrong here, but I get the feeling that CSS may override browser settings and it's possible that the font size is controlled by a stylesheet.

I, like the others, have no problem with the drop down menu. The fact that this happens across browsers and nowhere else is really confusing. Do you happen to have any one extension installed for each of those browsers?

OP
B
Reaction score
Resolution, Universal access and min fonts

Tried it on 3 different Macs here - 13" MB, 13" MBA and 15" MBP.
All are fine - 2 running 10.7 and one running 10.8.

What resolution is your screen set at?
However, changing to various lower resolutions here did not provide the same affect you're seeing.

Do you have anything in Universal Access turned on?

Have you changed the minimum font size of your browsers?

1920 x 1080 - I did try changing the resolution this morning and I already checked that universal access was off. I haven't changed the font size recently although Firefox tends to make all of my fonts bold. This has never effected the drop down menu before though.

OP
B
Reaction score
Solved!

It won't be font size in the browser settings - I just tried it and the arrangement was fine. And, I may be wrong here, but I get the feeling that CSS may override browser settings and it's possible that the font size is controlled by a stylesheet.

I, like the others, have no problem with the drop down menu. The fact that this happens across browsers and nowhere else is really confusing. Do you happen to have any one extension installed for each of those browsers?

Ding ding ding ding!!!! It was an extension/add on. I disabled all of them in Firefox and Chrome which did the trick. Safari I only had one extension "Youtube Downloader" enabled and once I removed it everything went back to normal.

Thank you everyone this was driving me crazy!!! :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Now that seems pretty strange that the youtube downloader would have that effect.

OP
B
Reaction score
I know that I did not install it across all of my browsers manually so it must've installed itself into chrome and safari. It's weird because I could've sworn that the very first thing I did (after realizing it wasn't broken css) was to disable my Firefox add-ons which initially didn't work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that you've got the site displaying correctly, I'd try installing the youtube downloader just to see if it does it again. Then perhaps grab FastestTube instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.