Dead MBP but working HD

Reaction score
I spilled margarita on my mid2011 MBP and it shut off in less than a minute. it wouldn't turn back on after i'd cleaned up the liquid, so I took it to a Mac repair shop for liquid damage clean up. They were blue to clean it up better and even managed to get it to turn back on, but the keyboard wouldn't work. So after another week of them trying to get the keyboard to work, with no success, they say I can pick it up. When I go to pick it up, it no longer will even turn on. They assured me that the HD still has all my data, so here's my big question;

Is it possible to have someone transfer the data from my HD to an external HD?

If so, is there a recommendedexternal HD (preferably 1-2TB)?

And is there a physical place I could take it to, to get the transfer done(I live in Southern California)?

Tldr: Can I transfer data from my dead MBP with a working HD to an external HD.

Any help would be much appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Remove the hard drive from your Mac.
All your data is now on an external hard drive - no transfer required.

Get an external case to put it in or get a universal SATA to USB adapter to connect it to another computer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay. If I connect it to my new MBP will I be able to just drag the files that I want off of the old HD to my new one?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You could do it that way or you could use Migration Assistant to import your data and apps.

If you have it ready to go the first time you turn the new Mac on, it will ask if you want to import from another Mac or backup - click yes and it will import everything over and set up your old user account just as it was on the old Mac.

Some software - like MS Office or Adobe may need to be reinstalled - not all apps import properly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're getting the exact same model Mac, you could boot to that old drive on the new machine - install CarbonCopyCloner (on the old drive) - and then use it to create a clone of the old drive onto your new Mac.

Would only do this if it is the same model - if it's not the same model, then the clone may not function properly as it may not have the proper system drivers for your new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.