Macbook Pro Retina crashes

Reaction score
Hi all,

After the past update for Mountain Lion, (10.8.3) I have been experiencing issues where I would start a movie or a video game, then after merely 4 minutes of enjoying content, my screen would blank and the computer would become irresponsive. I end up having to press and hold the power button to force a restart. I have not found this issue happen to others recently and plan to recover through a very old backup, which would be far from ideal.

I am new here at the forums and enjoy reading up on specific issues regarding macs. I would love some feedback.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

It sounds like the computer is shutting itself off to avoid melting the processor, ie it is overheating. This could be caused by fans not kicking on to cool the machine as they should. That would be a serious mechanical issue (if it is the case) so my advice would be to find a local Apple Authorised Service Provider and schedule an appointment for a test to see if they can duplicate the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.