Audio Midi Setup to connect to computers on a different network.

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I am trying to use the Audio Midi Setup Utility to connect two computers that are not on the same network. I was able to connect computers that are on the same network, but have not been able to connect computers in remote locations.

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
Just wondering, for what reason would you want to have 2 computers on 2 different networks?

I would assume that you could try to research the possibility for remote computers to join the same network as the main computer. I have no clue how that is done, but my assumption is that the 2 computers in the end should be on the same network (either through IP forwarding/port forwarding)

OP
M
Reaction score

Fair enough Buc021,

I am working on setting up an online piano class for high school students. The students would be using a MIDI keyboard (such as the M-Audio Keystation 49) and the students and their teacher will all be in different locations, not in the same building. There is a software program out now called Internet Midi that allows two people on different networks to play for each other. The basic idea is that I'm using my MIDI controller, the piano, to control your computer.

I'm curious to see if I can set something up similar to this software using Audio Midi Setup.

When I open the program, I go to Window>Show Midi window, and double-click on the purple "Network" button.

I have been able to connect to computers on the same network as me, but I'm working now on trying to add someone off network to the "Directory" field. When you click the plus button to add someone, it asks for three bits of information:

Name: (machine)
Host: (host.example.com)
Port:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.