• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple's two step authentication?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Apple adds two-step verification option for Apple IDs | Apple - CNET News

Sounds great. I love as many roadblocks as possible between hackers and my account.

However...

Using Apple's instruction, thus...

Apple ID: Frequently asked questions about two-step verification for Apple ID

It says...

Select "Manage your Apple ID" and sign in.
Select "Password and Security."
Under Two-Step Verification, select Get Started and follow the on-screen instructions.

Fine, except that nowhere on my Password and Security page is any button, text or link to Two-Step Verification.

Anybody else find it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Are you going to appleid.apple.com? Once you log in you choose Password and Security, answer your questions if you have them and then you should see the link to get started on two-step verification.

It is there for me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
John is correct . Just checked it and set it up. You sign in and click the Password and Security Tab. Answer your security questions then hit continue. Next page will have a area to click called Two step Verification.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Thanks for the info, both.

For me, it still isn't there. My screen matches the screenshots from Apple, but the 2 step verification is missing.

However, I cranked my my Linux system, went to the same URL and got the proper page with the verification link.

It has to be a cache problem with old data, although since I haven't hit that page for at least the last two complete system reloads, I have no idea how it would be cached. No big deal now, but I want to know what is happening. Still working on it.

Update:

It's some Safari glitch, although my machine is totally up to date on everything except iTunes. I loaded Opera and the page shows fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.