imac restore cd os x problems

Reaction score
hello,i am new to the forum and I just picked up my second mac which is an imac g5 (pre owned) the seller did not restore it to factory settings,nor did he have the install/restore disc to go with it. I purchased the imac restore cd with mac os x v10.5 leopard from amazon and now im thinking I bought the wrong discs maybe? because I did the steps and afterwordds I had trouble ejecting and when I finally ejected and restarted I get a white screen with a blinking file icon and question mark. what did I do wrong? and now it only works if I have the install disc and at that point I cant do anything,i reset the password to my own password,i erased all what was on there.

If anyone can help me I would be greatly appreciated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What color is the CD/DVD that you purchased? If it is a gray one there may be some writing on the disc in small print giving you an indication what model iMac the disc was designed for.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of Leopard restore disk(s) did you buy from Amazon? If they were the Silver - Gray disks, then they're specific for a Mac model and will not work if they're not for your G5. You need a Leopard retail DVD (black color) which is more difficult to find and somewhat expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G5 iMacs usually came with Tiger original discs. Looks like if your want leopard eBay and such for full retail install DVD, black color. They are not cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.