Linksys N600 Router/Network Keeps Dropping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
A few weeks back, I upgraded my Internet service and purchased a new modem. Since this time, I have been losing my router signal on a daily basis, often a couple of time a day. It is always remedied by unplugging my router and then plugging it back in again, but it's annoying and I'm seeking a solution. First, here's some basic information.

• I have cable Internet. Approx 100 mbps down and 5 mbps up.
  • My router is a Linksys N600. It's only about 4 weeks old.
  • I have several devices depending on my network. 2 Macs, 2 iPhones, 1 iPod, 2 iPads, 2 Apple TVs and a VPN Phone.
  • 1 Mac and my VPN phone are hardwired to the router. Everything else uses wifi.
  • My modem has built in wi-fi, but I had it bridged. I have confirmed with the cable company several times now that the bridge was successful. I have also tested the ports, only 1 works.. so I don't think I'm getting conflicts with the modem.
  • I do not use any sort of anti-virus software and the firewall's on both mac's are turned off.

The odd thing about my issue, is that several times it appears to only affect some devices. For example, this morning my VPN phone was working, and I was streaming Netflix on one of the iPhones without problem, yet I couldn't get the Internet on the hardwired mac to work.

Other times I've noticed that my macbook will be browsing the web with no problem but my hardwired mac can't get on a web site to save it's life.

Of course, many times nothing works as well. It's odd.

But whatever the case, unplugging the router and then plugging it in again seems to fix it every single time. Often my network stays solid after that until the next day, and then I will have problems again, usually first thing in the morning. I don't think I've had more than 2 issue free days with my network since I installed this new router.

Any ideas here would be appreciated. I should also mention that my modem seems solid. I've tested it several times when the router is down and it's been working well every time. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
Do you use a modem provided by your isp or do you have your own? Is the modem docsis 2.0 or 3.0?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you use a modem provided by your isp or do you have your own? Is the modem docsis 2.0 or 3.0?

I bought the modem separately at Best Buy. I'm not super knowledgeable about networking, I don't know what docsis 2.0/3.0 means.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Docsis 2.0 is usually used for internet speeds up to 20mb/s and Docsis 3.0 is for speeds greater than 20mb/s. I had a similar issue with a Motorola SBG6580 modem/router I purchased from Best Buy after a lightning strike 2 years ago. I had never installed a router before and wanted something fast so I picked out the Motorola and foolishly paid Geek Squad to install it. Geek Squad guy spent 30 minutes getting it set-up and a few hours later that evening I started having connectivity issues only remedied by resetting the router. The problem persisted for several days so I called my isp to have them check out the issue. It took the cable guy less than 5 minutes to discover I the Motorola SBG6580 was docsis 3.0 connected to my docsis 2.0 line.
Now, I'm not sure if a docsis 2.0 modem, if that is what you have, would have the same issue connected to a docsis 3.0 line (which at 100 mb/s down yours must be).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've thought about contacting Geek Squad about this. That may be my next move, but your comment doesn't make me feel any better about that! lol.

I don't know if it's a docsis 2.0 or not, but the specs page on the website say this modem is capable of up to 300 mbps, so my thinking is that shouldn't be my issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've thought about contacting Geek Squad about this. That may be my next move, but your comment doesn't make me feel any better about that! lol.

I don't know if it's a docsis 2.0 or not, but the specs page on the website say this modem is capable of up to 300 mbps, so my thinking is that shouldn't be my issue?

Are you looking at the routers spec page or your modems? What is your make/model of modem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just read some reviews on that N600 Linksys and a few people are having many drops a day. One said new firmware made a large difference. You might try upgrading the Routers Firmware.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EA270...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

You might read some of the reviews. Turns out it automatically updates the firmware and installs Cisco Cloud connect and after that people were saying you can not manually manage the router! Sounds annoying.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you looking at the routers spec page or your modems? What is your make/model of modem?

It's a Linksys N600 model #EA2700.

I just looked on the box and it does say that it should be good for running 6 devices or less, while I do have more devices than this, this household is seldom using more than 3 or 4 at a time. Thought I should mention that also...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just read some reviews on that N600 Linksys and a few people are having many drops a day. One said new firmware made a large difference. You might try upgrading the Routers Firmware.

I will try this. I'll get back to you about that. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re-Read my post. There is more info and a URL.

I think I've been using Cloud Connect from the beginning. I can't find anywhere to update my firmware on the site, but I did notice that I had an option to "restore old firmware" if I wanted too. I am thinking that the updates just happen automatically now.

I'm really puzzled by all this stuff. And now I'm not even sure that geek Squad is going to have any answers. Perhaps I should start thinking about a different router altogether?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
A couple of things that I would suggest....put the Mac that is on wireless onto the 5Ghz band if it's sat on the 2.4 Ghz band and have your email clients check for new mail at longer intervals for example every 15 minutes or longer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.