Need help to test a MacBook Pro A1229

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 5 64gb, iPad 2 16gb,15" MBP Core i7 2.2ghz Sandy Bridge, 8GB RAM, 500GB, AMD 6750M 512MB
Hey guys,

So I recently got a steal on a MacBook Pro. It's the A1229 model. I bought it in parts, and it does need some work. I wanted to get some insight from you guys to see if there's anyway to test out this mac.

Here's the dilemma:

It's the 17" A1229. Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ, 2GB Ram, No HDD, I have all the casing, the logic board, the LCD, RAM, Processor, and the Nvidia graphics card.

I'm fairly certain the Logic Board is good. when I plug it up and power it on. I get a chime, a light on the front, and the CPU/GPU fans spin. I can't do any further testing because of the LCD inverter being bad. Although I have read where the Nvidia chipset on this model is popular for going out.

The LCD needs a new inverter (already on it's way). I tested the LCD to see if i could get it to light up on a different inverter (not mac) and it did infact start up, so I know the LCD is good. I ordered all new wiring and a new inverter.

I've also ordered the HDD, the caddy for it, new screws, airport card, bluetooth card, and the ram casing.

My question is, All I have for OSX is the Mountain Lion download. How do I get that to install on the new hard drive? If I can't, should I get the snow leopard DVD?

Any insight on further testing this Mac would be great!

If there's any kind of sequence for hooking it up to an external monitor that would be nice, but I don't think that'll happen.

Thanks a lot,

Alex.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How or where do you have the Mountain Lion download? What is it stored on?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 5 64gb, iPad 2 16gb,15" MBP Core i7 2.2ghz Sandy Bridge, 8GB RAM, 500GB, AMD 6750M 512MB
It's on my 2012 MBP. I upgraded from lion.

Also, I have verified that it isn't the GPU. I cleaned it up and hooked it all back up, and sure enough it's just the inverter (thank god).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will need to download ML again from the App Store. Hold Option and hit Purchases and download f.o.c. Then use Liondiskmaker to burn to a bootable USB thumb drive, boot from that by holding down 'C' at start.

http://liondiskmaker.com

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Still trying to get the backlight working. I have replaced the inverter and the cables. What's weird is if i hook up just the backlight part of the screen up to a different inverter, I can get it to power on. And I know that it's not a logic board issues because I can get it to come up on an external monitor. Help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.